J a k e

J a k e
at the beach in Destin

Jake's story

July 21st was a normal day, as were the days of summer before. Everything was in it's place. School days were approaching and the family was enjoying the last days by the pool, ignored bedtimes and high popsicle counts.

Then July 22, 2008 came....

Jake had his first seizure. I did not recognize it as such. It was not until he had several more of these "little jerks" and bloody noses that I thought this could be seizure activity. We were scheduled to see a neurologist on August 4th, after going through our pediatrician, however we didn't make it that far. I was awakened August 1st, by Jake in a full seizure (6 minutes long)...he started to turn blue so I called 911....

Here begins our journey......

...we were taken by ambulance to the hospital. Checked in. Released. 3 more grand mal seizures after being released. Checked back in. Sent home 3 days later. Another grand mal, this one lasting a whopping 11 minutes and taken by ambulance again. Stayed at Childrens Dallas for a week. Upping meds, changing meds and mixing meds.
Diagnosis: Epilepsy
Cause: Unknown
We have now found, through some absolutely amazing family and extended family, whom I will NEVER be able to thank enough, the wonderful doctors and nurses at Cook Childrens Hospital in Fort Worth, who are continuing to help us through this. We have had another grand last thursday, and are averaging anywhere from 5-30 seizures (jerks, drops, stares) a day. I was to begin back teaching at Apollo, but am having to put that on hold until the seizures are controlled. Jake is not able to go back to school until he is 30 days seizure free. We are still waiting for that ONE day. Please pray for our family and for little Jake. Although this is not the end of the world, it is a huge hurdle we WILL overcome. Pray for courage for Jake, understanding as parents, good doctors and for the right medicines.

Jake's mom, Christine


*********************************************************

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

breaking child labor laws?

With three children, or even without three children for that matter, I could always use help with the housework.

The kids helped me quite a bit today. :-)



The good thing is they think working like this is a HUGE treat, or "reward" if you will.    Being able to spray cleaning products, does not seem like cleaning to a 5 and 6 year old.  It s waaay different than me asking them to clean their room or put their clothes away.

I have a lot on my mind, especially with the upcoming Fourth of July weekend.  A lot of feelings and thoughts that I can't quite get together yet.  Mostly about the anxiety and the different aspects of Epilepsy that no one really realizes.  No one, including people that have been battling this beast with us.  the things that seem so small , or not even part of epilepsy, but in reality , would not even be relevant in our lives, if the beast would not have ever entered it.

So with that being said, I promise to update, hopefully every day this week.  I have been avoiding the blog, as I have not known how to deal with what I am actually feeling inside.  Well, that, and the fact that I have still been dealing with a 102 fever.  mommies are NOT supposed to be sick...there is simply no time for a mommy to be sick.  She has too much to do!

Here is a pick of Sweet "Mini Coop" at 3 weeks old.  He now stays awake for a couple hours in the morning and a couple hours in the late afternoon.  this is huge, as we honestly thought something was wrong with the kid, as he slept soooo much!  it's been 5 years since we were parents to a newborn, we are relearning everything....well, at least I am.

Drag your thoughts away from your troubles... by the ears, by the heels, or any other way you can manage it. ~Mark Twain

1 comment:

Lisa Christine said...

Congrats on the new baby!! (I miss having new babies around the house :) )

As for the 4th of July and epilepsy....I am wondering about that myself. Lately, loud, unexpected noises have been setting off seizures for Elisabeth....I'll keep my fingers crossed that she (and Jake) do okay :)