J a k e

J a k e
at the beach in Destin

Jake's story

July 21st was a normal day, as were the days of summer before. Everything was in it's place. School days were approaching and the family was enjoying the last days by the pool, ignored bedtimes and high popsicle counts.

Then July 22, 2008 came....

Jake had his first seizure. I did not recognize it as such. It was not until he had several more of these "little jerks" and bloody noses that I thought this could be seizure activity. We were scheduled to see a neurologist on August 4th, after going through our pediatrician, however we didn't make it that far. I was awakened August 1st, by Jake in a full seizure (6 minutes long)...he started to turn blue so I called 911....

Here begins our journey......

...we were taken by ambulance to the hospital. Checked in. Released. 3 more grand mal seizures after being released. Checked back in. Sent home 3 days later. Another grand mal, this one lasting a whopping 11 minutes and taken by ambulance again. Stayed at Childrens Dallas for a week. Upping meds, changing meds and mixing meds.
Diagnosis: Epilepsy
Cause: Unknown
We have now found, through some absolutely amazing family and extended family, whom I will NEVER be able to thank enough, the wonderful doctors and nurses at Cook Childrens Hospital in Fort Worth, who are continuing to help us through this. We have had another grand last thursday, and are averaging anywhere from 5-30 seizures (jerks, drops, stares) a day. I was to begin back teaching at Apollo, but am having to put that on hold until the seizures are controlled. Jake is not able to go back to school until he is 30 days seizure free. We are still waiting for that ONE day. Please pray for our family and for little Jake. Although this is not the end of the world, it is a huge hurdle we WILL overcome. Pray for courage for Jake, understanding as parents, good doctors and for the right medicines.

Jake's mom, Christine


Wednesday, October 28, 2009

"I am not brave today"

Most of you know that Jake is one brave boy! Much braver than I could ever be. The kid adores shots, getting blood drawn, and getting challenged.

One night during our vacation we visited an awesome little community, Baytown Wharf. It was so fun and family friendly! As we walked into the central portion of the town, Jake noticed people flying overhead, across a small lake on a zip line.

he immediately declared to us,he too was going to fly across the sky, like the others he saw. There was no stopping him! he ran to the tower and started to climb it before I could even pay to witness my kid fly above a lake.

I have to admit seeing the tower we had to climb, sent my stomach fluttering! The young men in charge of my sons fate, kept reassuring me that Jake could climb the long, spiral staircase on his own. Jake still has a hard time walking on his own, much less climbing, a 6 story, metal spiral staircase.

So I made the long voyage with him It took about two steps for me to realize that there is no way this kid is coordinated enough to make it all the way to the top. So me, wearing tall wedges and a dress, pick the child up and lug him up the staircase, all while Addison tugs at me and cries incessantly that Jake should not do this because, she is afraid! Somehow we finally made it to the top an d I tell the man that I can't walk him out because I too, am frightened of the great distance below.

So Jake turns to me with the biggest grin ever and is led to his plank!

He walks all the way to the end.

stares out for a second.

Gives me a thumbs up.

Looks like he is about to go.....

then turns and declares matter of factly...."I am not brave today!"

In my mind he is ALWAYS brave, He is my hero!
Let me tell you how relieved I was to hear those words! I was not prepared to watch him zip across a lake!

He then opted to do "virtual bungee." he LOVED it to say the least! he kept crying "Higher, higher!" The attendee was belly laughing watching this little boy, wanting to touch the sky!

Addi had a great time too. However seeing how high Jake was willing to go, terrified her, so her feet barely left the trampoline. That's my girl!:-)

Next we found a great little spot to watch the sunset.

Finally, it was time for dinner!

We had a great time at Baytowne Wharf! It will definitely bee a "must see" adventure next time we have the opportunity to get back to "The Beach!"

"How fine has the day been! how bright was the sun, How lovely and joyful the course that he run! Though he rose in a mist when his race he begun, And there followed some droppings of rain: But now the fair traveller's come to the west, His rays are all gold, and his beauties are best; He paints the skies gay as he sinks to his rest, And foretells a bright rising again."

God Bless~Christine

No comments: