J a k e

J a k e
at the beach in Destin

Jake's story

July 21st was a normal day, as were the days of summer before. Everything was in it's place. School days were approaching and the family was enjoying the last days by the pool, ignored bedtimes and high popsicle counts.

Then July 22, 2008 came....

Jake had his first seizure. I did not recognize it as such. It was not until he had several more of these "little jerks" and bloody noses that I thought this could be seizure activity. We were scheduled to see a neurologist on August 4th, after going through our pediatrician, however we didn't make it that far. I was awakened August 1st, by Jake in a full seizure (6 minutes long)...he started to turn blue so I called 911....

Here begins our journey......

...we were taken by ambulance to the hospital. Checked in. Released. 3 more grand mal seizures after being released. Checked back in. Sent home 3 days later. Another grand mal, this one lasting a whopping 11 minutes and taken by ambulance again. Stayed at Childrens Dallas for a week. Upping meds, changing meds and mixing meds.
Diagnosis: Epilepsy
Cause: Unknown
We have now found, through some absolutely amazing family and extended family, whom I will NEVER be able to thank enough, the wonderful doctors and nurses at Cook Childrens Hospital in Fort Worth, who are continuing to help us through this. We have had another grand last thursday, and are averaging anywhere from 5-30 seizures (jerks, drops, stares) a day. I was to begin back teaching at Apollo, but am having to put that on hold until the seizures are controlled. Jake is not able to go back to school until he is 30 days seizure free. We are still waiting for that ONE day. Please pray for our family and for little Jake. Although this is not the end of the world, it is a huge hurdle we WILL overcome. Pray for courage for Jake, understanding as parents, good doctors and for the right medicines.

Jake's mom, Christine


Saturday, October 3, 2009

We are back!

We are here in Santa Rosa beach!

we are tired, cranky, and ready for bed!

But we are here and so far seizure free!!

last year when we entered the house , Jake had a tc! It was a long one. One probably requiring Diastat.

so far, however we have had none and we are just loving life!

we walked in,changed, daddy got his fishing poles ready for tomorrow, and we left for Stinkys! After stinkys we sat at the beach and watched the tide roll in, swam, laughed, and looked for crabs. In 1 hour our lives were transformed!

the kids have been bribed stinkeys since last year. Stinkys and red bar are two of our favorite places to visit while here. so , check, we got our Stinky's fix, now on to the Red Bar!

I am off to bed, but you can bet that more pictures and updates will come daily. Especially the much anticipated Make a wish "ink party" and the first moments seeing the water pictures.

(I am aware tehse are awful pictures. I have yet to break out the decent camera)

I can't wait to tell you guys how much fun we are having.
and more importantly how therapeutic this is for us.

Watching or troubles go to the sea.

"The sea possess a power over everyones moods that has an effect of a will. The sea can hypnotize."

God Bless~ Christine

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Looks like a wonderful time....and I agree, there is something very therapeutic about the ocean.