J a k e

J a k e
at the beach in Destin

Jake's story

July 21st was a normal day, as were the days of summer before. Everything was in it's place. School days were approaching and the family was enjoying the last days by the pool, ignored bedtimes and high popsicle counts.

Then July 22, 2008 came....

Jake had his first seizure. I did not recognize it as such. It was not until he had several more of these "little jerks" and bloody noses that I thought this could be seizure activity. We were scheduled to see a neurologist on August 4th, after going through our pediatrician, however we didn't make it that far. I was awakened August 1st, by Jake in a full seizure (6 minutes long)...he started to turn blue so I called 911....

Here begins our journey......

...we were taken by ambulance to the hospital. Checked in. Released. 3 more grand mal seizures after being released. Checked back in. Sent home 3 days later. Another grand mal, this one lasting a whopping 11 minutes and taken by ambulance again. Stayed at Childrens Dallas for a week. Upping meds, changing meds and mixing meds.
Diagnosis: Epilepsy
Cause: Unknown
We have now found, through some absolutely amazing family and extended family, whom I will NEVER be able to thank enough, the wonderful doctors and nurses at Cook Childrens Hospital in Fort Worth, who are continuing to help us through this. We have had another grand last thursday, and are averaging anywhere from 5-30 seizures (jerks, drops, stares) a day. I was to begin back teaching at Apollo, but am having to put that on hold until the seizures are controlled. Jake is not able to go back to school until he is 30 days seizure free. We are still waiting for that ONE day. Please pray for our family and for little Jake. Although this is not the end of the world, it is a huge hurdle we WILL overcome. Pray for courage for Jake, understanding as parents, good doctors and for the right medicines.

Jake's mom, Christine


Saturday, February 27, 2010

Darn it man!!!

Well DARN IT!!!

Since Monday morning Jake had not had a seizure!! I read from some very wise Doose mommy's on an online support group that giving OMega 3 vitamins might help with seizures, clarity, and/or overall general health. What the heck, I thought and gave it a try, it certainly can't hurt! So since I had started giving it to him, Jake has not had a seizure! Not at nap , nor during the night......until yesterday.

At school, his awesome teachers, Ms. McVay and Mrs. Chavez, reported that Jake had a pretty active nap, regarding seizures!

Damn it! that's what I get for opening my big mouth. About the same time my little guy was seizing, I was telling this same support group about our suspected success with Omega 3.

Unfortunately, Jake was a seizing machine last night as well. I think he had at least 4 maybe 5. A couple of these a considerable amount longer than usual. usually these nocturnal tc's will stop as quickly as they started, in a couple of seconds. However, last night a few of these damn things were between 10-20 seconds.

I am very glad we have an appointment to be admitted this Wednesday.
We are praying that Jake will receive as great of birthday present, as he did last year!

After last April's steroid treatment, his last drop was on his 4th birthday, April 29th.

Although, I look back at his birthday pictures and can't believe how big and swollen he was from the treatment, and still can't imagine and barely believe the life we were living last year, I am soo very thankful for how far we have come!

I pray the same gains for this year!

Leaving that blue helmet behind!

Our dreams must be stronger than our memories. We must be pulled by our dreams, rather than pushed by our memories. - Jesse Jackson

No comments: