J a k e

J a k e
at the beach in Destin

Jake's story

July 21st was a normal day, as were the days of summer before. Everything was in it's place. School days were approaching and the family was enjoying the last days by the pool, ignored bedtimes and high popsicle counts.

Then July 22, 2008 came....

Jake had his first seizure. I did not recognize it as such. It was not until he had several more of these "little jerks" and bloody noses that I thought this could be seizure activity. We were scheduled to see a neurologist on August 4th, after going through our pediatrician, however we didn't make it that far. I was awakened August 1st, by Jake in a full seizure (6 minutes long)...he started to turn blue so I called 911....

Here begins our journey......

...we were taken by ambulance to the hospital. Checked in. Released. 3 more grand mal seizures after being released. Checked back in. Sent home 3 days later. Another grand mal, this one lasting a whopping 11 minutes and taken by ambulance again. Stayed at Childrens Dallas for a week. Upping meds, changing meds and mixing meds.
Diagnosis: Epilepsy
Cause: Unknown
We have now found, through some absolutely amazing family and extended family, whom I will NEVER be able to thank enough, the wonderful doctors and nurses at Cook Childrens Hospital in Fort Worth, who are continuing to help us through this. We have had another grand last thursday, and are averaging anywhere from 5-30 seizures (jerks, drops, stares) a day. I was to begin back teaching at Apollo, but am having to put that on hold until the seizures are controlled. Jake is not able to go back to school until he is 30 days seizure free. We are still waiting for that ONE day. Please pray for our family and for little Jake. Although this is not the end of the world, it is a huge hurdle we WILL overcome. Pray for courage for Jake, understanding as parents, good doctors and for the right medicines.

Jake's mom, Christine


Thursday, February 17, 2011

Gives me chills

I took jake to the neurologist on Tuesday.  It has been a long 3 months since our last appointment.  Not much ever changes at these appointments....I ask questions, give Jake updates, he checks reflexes and such and we are on our way.  Why then, do I count down the days in anticipation of the next appointment?  I am not quite sure of the answer to this question.

With that being said, this appointment was a tad different than most.  Usually, or at least , the past several appointments, I report that Jake is still having nocturnal tc's.  Most of the time 2-5 a night, 3-5 times per week....blah, blah , blah.  We then always agree to stay our course of treatment and hopefully the beast will decide Jake's brain is no longer taking renters.

This time though, Jake reported his news.  Jake told Dr. H that he has not had a seizure since Thanksgiving Day!  That's 3 months!!!Talk about giving thanks!  Dr. H grinned an awesomely huge grin!  I then, had nothing to tell him...nothing that is except, I had been called in for a teacher conference.  Scared as I was, it was to be told Jake is doing GREAT!  She informed me that since November his skills have really improved.....coincidence?  Jake has also stopped taking his adhd medicine and is doing just fine! coincidence?

As you know, I have been MIA from blogging.  As you also know, I am very superstitious.  I have been extremely concerned and worried about sharing our good news, as I might "break the streak."  So not only have I not told you guys, nor have I told family...even Matt.

Back in November, at our last appointment, I told/asked Dr. hernandez about starting some herbal supplements.  He agreed, but suggested I try Bcomplex first, as it is cheaper.  I tooled around a few days, until I finally was able to get to the store.  I picked up a cheap bottle of B vitamins, gave them to Jake, thinking nothing of it.  It is from that day, or one day after, that we have yet to see any seizures!

As you can imagine, I am on cloud nine!  Just soaring! My cheeks hurt from smiling so much. 

Sooooo, yesterday I sat in my office and was reliving my excitement with coworkers.  About this time, a student came in speaking of some bird outside my classroom window.  Yeah, yeah, bird, shirmerd....we go about our business and continue chatting away.  Then another teacher I share my room with comes in and is grabbing her camera, as not only is there a bird outside our classroom window.....there is a Hawk.  I instantly get chills and am motionless.  I literally couldn't move.

Finally, when I compose myself, I race two doors down,  sure enough, there, staring into our classroom, perched on the nearest branch towards the window, is the most beautiful, calm, baby hawk.

That hawk, supposedly had been there since I left from school to head the appointment the previous day.  After I taught my lesson for the day, i turned to say goodbye to the sweet bird, and he was gone.


click to here to learn why this is so inspiring:
The Hawk

God is good.

"He is a wise man who does not grieve for the things which he has not, but rejoices for those which he has." - Epictetus

1 comment:

Fawn said...

Ohhh, Christine!!! I am sooo happy to read this! Getting chills right along with you!