J a k e

J a k e
at the beach in Destin

Jake's story

July 21st was a normal day, as were the days of summer before. Everything was in it's place. School days were approaching and the family was enjoying the last days by the pool, ignored bedtimes and high popsicle counts.

Then July 22, 2008 came....

Jake had his first seizure. I did not recognize it as such. It was not until he had several more of these "little jerks" and bloody noses that I thought this could be seizure activity. We were scheduled to see a neurologist on August 4th, after going through our pediatrician, however we didn't make it that far. I was awakened August 1st, by Jake in a full seizure (6 minutes long)...he started to turn blue so I called 911....

Here begins our journey......

...we were taken by ambulance to the hospital. Checked in. Released. 3 more grand mal seizures after being released. Checked back in. Sent home 3 days later. Another grand mal, this one lasting a whopping 11 minutes and taken by ambulance again. Stayed at Childrens Dallas for a week. Upping meds, changing meds and mixing meds.
Diagnosis: Epilepsy
Cause: Unknown
We have now found, through some absolutely amazing family and extended family, whom I will NEVER be able to thank enough, the wonderful doctors and nurses at Cook Childrens Hospital in Fort Worth, who are continuing to help us through this. We have had another grand last thursday, and are averaging anywhere from 5-30 seizures (jerks, drops, stares) a day. I was to begin back teaching at Apollo, but am having to put that on hold until the seizures are controlled. Jake is not able to go back to school until he is 30 days seizure free. We are still waiting for that ONE day. Please pray for our family and for little Jake. Although this is not the end of the world, it is a huge hurdle we WILL overcome. Pray for courage for Jake, understanding as parents, good doctors and for the right medicines.

Jake's mom, Christine


Sunday, February 15, 2009

Pictures and prayers

The Rockstars
I couldn't resist showing some pictures of Jake's new gift. Although, the noise level and the Tejano emitting from this guitar is quite annoying, Jake and Addion LOVE Jake's new gift. He Loves and has always loved music!

We had an awesome and awfully busy Valentine's weekend. Granny and Poppi came to visit. We celebrated Valentine's Day and an early birthday for Matt.

It seems crazy that we were soo anticipating Matt's return from out of town and now he is already gone. "Time flies when you're having fun," I guess.

Addison and I, and a friend went to an amazing Valentines party Saturday morning. It reminded me of what Valentine's Day's were like when we were young. The kids had craft tables. They made Valentines for friends, bags to keep their Valentines and many other Valentine's day related crafts. They munched on heart shaped cheese, heart shaped sandwiches and of course chocolate covered strawberries. The party came into conclusion with a knocking of the heart shaped pinata. It was a blast! I wish Valentines Day landed more often on the weekend, so we could have many more parties like this .

Addison , Granny and I then headed to the Galleria. What dumb fun. It was a mere hour trip, but it was wonderful! I have not been out like that in so long. To get out and not have to stress about Jake and where he would be running to, when he might be having a seizure, and who is going to be staring , was awesome. After we got some errands done, returning Christmas gifts, we went to the American Girl store. Geez, as cool as I think it is, I am kind of , secretly wishing, Addison does not get "fully" into it. Besides it being, outrageuously expensive, one cant walk into the cathedral, they call a store, without having an anxiety attack. The mass amount people, the lines and the fighting over doll clothes and accessories, is all I can handle.

It was a great weekend, but over too quickly.


Please keep in your prayers my nephew and his family. Ironically they started this whole Epilepsy journey almost a year ago to date, and before us, in Mexico for Spring Break. Chad had a pretty long seizure while seeing the sites in Mexico. They went to a nuero, upon their return to the states and Chad was diagnosed with Epilepsy. He has been doing great on medicines and his seizures have been pretty much controlled until this past week. He had a seizure at the mall and then a couple at his home. This is the first time it has affected Chad like this. They have witnessed our battle against the beast with Jake and been our rocks helping with him and the side effects of the drugs, and now what they have witnessed us go through, is happening to them. Please pray for the families strength, the doctors answers, and for Chads quick adjustment to the increased meds.
“I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. (Jeremiah 29:11)”

God Bless~ Christine


lisa a said...

I'm so glad you had such a good weekend!
Thanks so much for the shout out! It's odd starting out each day with a prayer and crossed fingers that another seizure doesn't sneak up on us. I have newfound respect for your strength!

Brandy said...

Lisa should start a blog. I cannot believe it about Chad. I remember you telling me about the one in Mexico...I had no idea he had been diagnosed with Epilepsy and started meds. Well, I now know since the stroll, of course, but I didn't really comprehend it for some reason. Please tell her I, too, will be praying for them. Can't wait to meet her and Chad at the stroll. I have to have Jake's "mom" shirt...where did you get it?

Love you!

lisa a said...

Thanks Brandy! I don't think I could do a blog as inspirational as Christine's! I just cry all day and ask God why this is happening to our babies. Can't wait to meet you!