J a k e

J a k e
at the beach in Destin

Jake's story

July 21st was a normal day, as were the days of summer before. Everything was in it's place. School days were approaching and the family was enjoying the last days by the pool, ignored bedtimes and high popsicle counts.

Then July 22, 2008 came....

Jake had his first seizure. I did not recognize it as such. It was not until he had several more of these "little jerks" and bloody noses that I thought this could be seizure activity. We were scheduled to see a neurologist on August 4th, after going through our pediatrician, however we didn't make it that far. I was awakened August 1st, by Jake in a full seizure (6 minutes long)...he started to turn blue so I called 911....

Here begins our journey......

...we were taken by ambulance to the hospital. Checked in. Released. 3 more grand mal seizures after being released. Checked back in. Sent home 3 days later. Another grand mal, this one lasting a whopping 11 minutes and taken by ambulance again. Stayed at Childrens Dallas for a week. Upping meds, changing meds and mixing meds.
Diagnosis: Epilepsy
Cause: Unknown
We have now found, through some absolutely amazing family and extended family, whom I will NEVER be able to thank enough, the wonderful doctors and nurses at Cook Childrens Hospital in Fort Worth, who are continuing to help us through this. We have had another grand last thursday, and are averaging anywhere from 5-30 seizures (jerks, drops, stares) a day. I was to begin back teaching at Apollo, but am having to put that on hold until the seizures are controlled. Jake is not able to go back to school until he is 30 days seizure free. We are still waiting for that ONE day. Please pray for our family and for little Jake. Although this is not the end of the world, it is a huge hurdle we WILL overcome. Pray for courage for Jake, understanding as parents, good doctors and for the right medicines.

Jake's mom, Christine


Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Better than swimming...

Addison stated "This is the best day of my life, better than swimming," after we were able to attend a Dallas Cowboy game, compliments of Make a Wish!

While at school Friday, I got a call from Make a Wish. My heart stopped! Was this the wish? Jake had wished to go surfing back in July, but nothing has been set in stone about the trip. On the other side of the line was a coordinator from Make a Wish, not necessarily granting Jake "his wish", but inviting us to an awesome outing!

They had tickets to the Dallas Cowboy's game at the brand new stadium! I couldn't pass them up, even knowing Matt had already made plans during game time.

The kids and I would go and ask my parents to join us. needless to say, it was an awesome experience! The kids have grown up routing for Da'Boys. They donned their Romo jerseys and we headed out! The stadium is ridiculously cool. It was no stadium, in my opinion, but a 5 star hotel. There were "napkins" with the Dallas Cowboy star in the restroom, as opposed to a blower or paper towels!

The kids had hot dogs, nachos, cotton candy, and bought hats as souvenirs! It was GREAT fun!

I was very worried about the game starting at 7:00, Jake's bedtime, and what that change in sleep pattern may do for seizures.

So as expected, Jake asked to go home at halftime, I am surprised he made it that long.

We were driving maybe 20 minutes when he sacked out.
We were driving about 40 when the seizure hit.
It did scare me, as I had not seen one like that in quite a while, but bless my parents, they were speechless in fright.

We soon got home and I put Jake in bed with me. He had been sleeping in his own bed, but I was a little worried "I might miss something" if he wasn't with me.

As I lay next to him feeling his breath on my cheek, I prayed.

I prayed harder than usual. I prayed for healing, for strength, and for understanding, if he may "relapse."

I lay there and prayed.

Eventually I fell asleep, but was awakened by Jake.
His face was over me.
he looked at me and said "Mommy don't worry the angels are here. They're taking care of me."

I asked where Jake, where Jake" show me!"
He pointed and said everywhere, especially my head.

I still get chills recalling this event. I still don't know if I was dreaming. Al lI know is I feel peace again.

The following morning the kids and I went on our walk.
What did we see?
The Hawk!
Addison pointed him out as he flew in the street next to us. She said, " Mommy is that Jake's hawk?"

I said, It is indeed, it is indeed.

Have I not commanded you? be stroong and courageous. Do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with youwherever you go.

Joshua 1:19

God Bless~ Christine

( for the hawk story go to Sept 27, 2008)


Brandy said...

tears...total tears...love you all..

Leslie said...