J a k e

J a k e
at the beach in Destin

Jake's story

July 21st was a normal day, as were the days of summer before. Everything was in it's place. School days were approaching and the family was enjoying the last days by the pool, ignored bedtimes and high popsicle counts.

Then July 22, 2008 came....

Jake had his first seizure. I did not recognize it as such. It was not until he had several more of these "little jerks" and bloody noses that I thought this could be seizure activity. We were scheduled to see a neurologist on August 4th, after going through our pediatrician, however we didn't make it that far. I was awakened August 1st, by Jake in a full seizure (6 minutes long)...he started to turn blue so I called 911....

Here begins our journey......

...we were taken by ambulance to the hospital. Checked in. Released. 3 more grand mal seizures after being released. Checked back in. Sent home 3 days later. Another grand mal, this one lasting a whopping 11 minutes and taken by ambulance again. Stayed at Childrens Dallas for a week. Upping meds, changing meds and mixing meds.
Diagnosis: Epilepsy
Cause: Unknown
We have now found, through some absolutely amazing family and extended family, whom I will NEVER be able to thank enough, the wonderful doctors and nurses at Cook Childrens Hospital in Fort Worth, who are continuing to help us through this. We have had another grand last thursday, and are averaging anywhere from 5-30 seizures (jerks, drops, stares) a day. I was to begin back teaching at Apollo, but am having to put that on hold until the seizures are controlled. Jake is not able to go back to school until he is 30 days seizure free. We are still waiting for that ONE day. Please pray for our family and for little Jake. Although this is not the end of the world, it is a huge hurdle we WILL overcome. Pray for courage for Jake, understanding as parents, good doctors and for the right medicines.

Jake's mom, Christine


Thursday, September 24, 2009


Saturday night at the Pegasus Ball for Autism, the Arkansas football game was on. I was forced to "call the hogs" for the first time ever.....well, apparently I do a pretty mean PIGSOOIE because it worked!

I called the Hogs alright.

The pig has entered the house! We are now living with the swine and the BEAST!
The Peters' have been quite busy lately. Between doctors appts., a week full of in services, a sick little girl, and a boy that had a long weekend of seizures.

God is good, and a break is in the near future.

Next week we will head back to beloved Florida for a week away "from it all!"

The beast, the swine, and others may follow, but we will all be together, at our most favorite place on earth!

I have some pictures of the photo shoot, for the make a wish national campaign and some videos as well. Jake was a ROCKSTAR! He had way more patience than me, and really played the part , as the actor! I am soo proud of him!

Stay tuned for the takes of the shoot!

We, Brandy and I, are looking to change the blog up a bit, if yo have any suggestions, please let s know!

God Bless~ Christine

No comments: