J a k e

J a k e
at the beach in Destin

Jake's story

July 21st was a normal day, as were the days of summer before. Everything was in it's place. School days were approaching and the family was enjoying the last days by the pool, ignored bedtimes and high popsicle counts.

Then July 22, 2008 came....

Jake had his first seizure. I did not recognize it as such. It was not until he had several more of these "little jerks" and bloody noses that I thought this could be seizure activity. We were scheduled to see a neurologist on August 4th, after going through our pediatrician, however we didn't make it that far. I was awakened August 1st, by Jake in a full seizure (6 minutes long)...he started to turn blue so I called 911....

Here begins our journey......

...we were taken by ambulance to the hospital. Checked in. Released. 3 more grand mal seizures after being released. Checked back in. Sent home 3 days later. Another grand mal, this one lasting a whopping 11 minutes and taken by ambulance again. Stayed at Childrens Dallas for a week. Upping meds, changing meds and mixing meds.
Diagnosis: Epilepsy
Cause: Unknown
We have now found, through some absolutely amazing family and extended family, whom I will NEVER be able to thank enough, the wonderful doctors and nurses at Cook Childrens Hospital in Fort Worth, who are continuing to help us through this. We have had another grand last thursday, and are averaging anywhere from 5-30 seizures (jerks, drops, stares) a day. I was to begin back teaching at Apollo, but am having to put that on hold until the seizures are controlled. Jake is not able to go back to school until he is 30 days seizure free. We are still waiting for that ONE day. Please pray for our family and for little Jake. Although this is not the end of the world, it is a huge hurdle we WILL overcome. Pray for courage for Jake, understanding as parents, good doctors and for the right medicines.

Jake's mom, Christine


Sunday, August 30, 2009

School days!

Wow! What a fun, exciting and exhausting week. I can't believe it has been a week since the last post. I have many things to "blog" about, however will save tonight for the "back to school post."
The kids LOVE school!

Don't get me wrong, there were days of many tears, both from the kids and me. Many long meetings, including ARD's, planning and informing about sweet Jake, and of course many a penny spent on all the back to school supplies, gear, and extras mommy just knew they "couldn't survive without!"

Unfortunately, I have been having huge camera problems, so these are the best pictures I could come up with to capture the all important milestone, that is "the first day of school."

I can't believe, and am sooooooo grateful, that I was able to be there with my little kindergartner, as she walked through the halls of her first "real school."
I can't believe, and am so grateful that Jake was able to be there with us, and also walk into his own classroom.

The keyword here being WALK!

It was just this last May, when he was not "allowed" to walk. Allowed, because, as soon as I would let his precious feet hit the ground, his head would soon follow in a seizure. Si I didn't let him walk, infear that we would land ourselves back in the er for more stitches, as we have done so many times before in the past year.

Jake walked, skipped, ran into his brand new school!
We are blessed!

Dear Lord, it's such a hectic day
With little time to stop and pray
For life's been anything but calm
Since You called on me to be a mom
Running errands, matching socks
Building dreams with building blocks
Cooking, cleaning, and finding shoes
And other stuff that children lose
Gitting lids on bottled bugs
Wiping tears and giving hugs
A stack of last week's mail to read
So where's the quiet time I need?
Yet when I steal a minute, Lord
Just at the sink or ironing board
To ask the blessings of Your grace
I seen then, in my small one's face
That you have blessed me
All the while
And I stop to kiss
that precious smile

God Bless~ Christine


Susan said...

What a difference a year has made!! I know it has been a tough year but look how far he has come!

Brandy said...

HOORAY!!! Love all of it! I must say that little poem just brought tears to my eyes. Hugs and kisses and I PRAY and HOPE his progression continues! They looked adorable on the first day...just beautiful!