J a k e

J a k e
at the beach in Destin

Jake's story

July 21st was a normal day, as were the days of summer before. Everything was in it's place. School days were approaching and the family was enjoying the last days by the pool, ignored bedtimes and high popsicle counts.

Then July 22, 2008 came....

Jake had his first seizure. I did not recognize it as such. It was not until he had several more of these "little jerks" and bloody noses that I thought this could be seizure activity. We were scheduled to see a neurologist on August 4th, after going through our pediatrician, however we didn't make it that far. I was awakened August 1st, by Jake in a full seizure (6 minutes long)...he started to turn blue so I called 911....

Here begins our journey......

...we were taken by ambulance to the hospital. Checked in. Released. 3 more grand mal seizures after being released. Checked back in. Sent home 3 days later. Another grand mal, this one lasting a whopping 11 minutes and taken by ambulance again. Stayed at Childrens Dallas for a week. Upping meds, changing meds and mixing meds.
Diagnosis: Epilepsy
Cause: Unknown
We have now found, through some absolutely amazing family and extended family, whom I will NEVER be able to thank enough, the wonderful doctors and nurses at Cook Childrens Hospital in Fort Worth, who are continuing to help us through this. We have had another grand last thursday, and are averaging anywhere from 5-30 seizures (jerks, drops, stares) a day. I was to begin back teaching at Apollo, but am having to put that on hold until the seizures are controlled. Jake is not able to go back to school until he is 30 days seizure free. We are still waiting for that ONE day. Please pray for our family and for little Jake. Although this is not the end of the world, it is a huge hurdle we WILL overcome. Pray for courage for Jake, understanding as parents, good doctors and for the right medicines.

Jake's mom, Christine


Sunday, September 21, 2008

As a teacher I used to love weekends. However after this weekend, I don't know if I can say that anymore.

We started out with a bang! Jake had a great Friday, besides visting the er for 6 stitches (or was that Thursday?), his seizure activity was actually down. He attended his cousins birthday and was even back by 7:30 to watch his last Scooby Doo of the day and be in bed by 8:00.

Saturday morning we woke up to go to Addison's first soccer game of the season. A friend graciously picked up Addison early so I could give Jake his meds and get there by game time. As I walk up to the game with Jake I witness Addi scoring, what I think is the first goal, as I am only 5- 10 minutes late. WRONG that was her third! My little Mia Hamm finished the game scoring multiple goals and was the only one who scored for her team! How much prouder, as an ex soccer player could I be?! We run a few errands, have a picnic lunch, and I put the kids down for a nap.

The rats get up and we prepare to go to another birthday party for Addison, however the parents asked if Jake could attend too, how cool is that? So I shower and go to the play room to check on the twerps, Just in time to see Jake fall face first off the couch and continue to go into a tc, grand mal. So I, wrapped in just a towel , think surely all the medicine he is on will stop this from going long...well about 3 mins into it the activity increased. I then prepare the emergency suppository and give it to him at about 4 minutes. I call the on call dr., as I hear gargled breathing and the seizure still hasn't stopped after the 10 mg of diastat. He advises to call 911. I am thinking "how do I get clothed" at this point. But, wouldn't ya" know it, while on the phone everything subsides and Jake is asleep....so I think. The resilient kid fully awakes about 30 minutes later and says "I smell something nasty!" (the suppository had caused him to go cacadoody) Once again I am dumbfounded...besides most people having a postitcal period of many hours after a seizure, the 30 lb kid just had Valium as well......I guess that nurse was right..."He's a fighter!"

I awake to a "brand new day" today. The kids and I go on a walk, have a picnic lunch, play with sidewalk chalk, and once again go down for a nap.

Jake wakes first, so he and I sit on the couch and watch "Overboard", read and talk....I move to the floor, to be "safe" so he would follow, he reaches for his snack on coffee table and yada, yada, yada, 6- 3 day old stitches out... 4 brand new ones in. Where's the helmet you ask...sitting right by us , on the floor, by the coffee table. Damn those drop seizures!

God Bless~ Christine

PS...Thanks "friend" for taking Addi to the party and thanks "sister" for watching Addison while I once again sew my boy up


Anonymous said...


Well, I am not surprised that Addison scored three goals during her soccer game. I remember your strength as a soccer player during many Sting vs. D'featers games back in the day. :)

As I read your blog, I feel your strengh now. Though it has been years, I can tell that you are an even stronger mother. Little Jake is in our prayers....an congrats to Addison on her "hat trick"

Christine Hamilton Lenahan

Lisa A. said...

It was a tough weekend girly, but you handeled it beautifully! She is also doing this ALONE guys, as Matt is working out of town. You're the strongest chick I've ever known. I'm always just a phone call away!

Anonymous said...

Hi Christine,

I'm one of Lisa A.'s PAMOM friends. I just read your story and want to let you know that your family is in my thoughts and prayers. I hope that Jake can get meds that will help him get well.

Mina F.

Julie said...

Hey lady- you rock:)


andie said...

Just another day in a super soccer mom's life!! J/K Wish I was there to help but our prayers are sent up from Austin. Let us know if the rents' can do anything for you. They are always around. Love ya Alva,