J a k e

J a k e
at the beach in Destin

Jake's story

July 21st was a normal day, as were the days of summer before. Everything was in it's place. School days were approaching and the family was enjoying the last days by the pool, ignored bedtimes and high popsicle counts.

Then July 22, 2008 came....

Jake had his first seizure. I did not recognize it as such. It was not until he had several more of these "little jerks" and bloody noses that I thought this could be seizure activity. We were scheduled to see a neurologist on August 4th, after going through our pediatrician, however we didn't make it that far. I was awakened August 1st, by Jake in a full seizure (6 minutes long)...he started to turn blue so I called 911....

Here begins our journey......

...we were taken by ambulance to the hospital. Checked in. Released. 3 more grand mal seizures after being released. Checked back in. Sent home 3 days later. Another grand mal, this one lasting a whopping 11 minutes and taken by ambulance again. Stayed at Childrens Dallas for a week. Upping meds, changing meds and mixing meds.
Diagnosis: Epilepsy
Cause: Unknown
We have now found, through some absolutely amazing family and extended family, whom I will NEVER be able to thank enough, the wonderful doctors and nurses at Cook Childrens Hospital in Fort Worth, who are continuing to help us through this. We have had another grand last thursday, and are averaging anywhere from 5-30 seizures (jerks, drops, stares) a day. I was to begin back teaching at Apollo, but am having to put that on hold until the seizures are controlled. Jake is not able to go back to school until he is 30 days seizure free. We are still waiting for that ONE day. Please pray for our family and for little Jake. Although this is not the end of the world, it is a huge hurdle we WILL overcome. Pray for courage for Jake, understanding as parents, good doctors and for the right medicines.

Jake's mom, Christine


Friday, September 19, 2008

Well, I sit here dumbfounded tonight as to what to even say. The outpouring of love and support that has come from every angle and degree is absolutely amazing! When Brandy(B and Michael, you are amazing) said "hey I really want to do this" I was very skeptical and embarrassed about putting myself out there for prayers and support , as I know compared to many people, we have it good! I am honestly at a loss of words tonight reading emails and comments....God does work in mysterious ways.

Thank You to everyone for all your prayers and support! Thanks to my family for being there at a drop of a hat for all the er trips, car rides to school, soccer practices and play dates. Thanks to my friends, who will pick Addison up to play "because she needs it" instead of our usual "wine night." Thanks to those of you who have been with Jake when he has seizures and you treat him as if he still is a person, instead of the alienated looks, or plain ignorance's we usually get. Thanks for my LTF girls who are "saving" my spot in the front! Thanks to my coworkers who are picking up sooo much extra slack as I try to figure out what our next day is going to look like! (Paula this is you too, as you are in the "fields" doing the dirty work! what would I do without my Paula, unfortunately Apollo, she'll probably NEVER offer to sub again!:-))) "My girls" thanks for all you have done...keep that wine a comin'!
I want to especially thank some family, extended family, the president of Cooks Children's and the wonderful team of neurologists and nurses that have given us the opportunity to find some of the greatest care in Texas, if not the country, for epilepsy/seizures.....thanks to you guys and all the prayers we WILL get this under control!

Look at me I turned into a a regular Oscar winner, can't you here the credits coming on trying to get rid of me!:-)

We did have a great day though. It was my nephew Luke's birthday, So donned in his helmet with chingaurd to protecthe lovely stitches, we set forth to conquer an Alvarez birthday party. This is one of Jake's first outings since all this began back in August. He had a great time and I think the cousins were extremely excited to see him. He did have a few "episodes" at the party, but all and all it was awesome to get out and celebrate Luke's 6th birthday.

Jake had much sugar, excitement and fun, and is now sleeping peacefully awaiting a brand new day.

God Bless~ Christine


Brandy said...

Love this picture! Bless him! I was just going to add one....nice job!

Denise said...

Although never diagnosed as anything specific I have always passed out easily and have had several seisures, some big ones. I have also had a cousin that had many issues one of them being very frequent and sever seisures and two children of my own who have had breathing issues and numberous hospital visits...I know how scary and overwhelming this can all be and I know how bad I feel after I have passed out or had a seisure. Our prayers are with you. Denise

Julie said...

Love this website. Thank you B for setting it up, and thank you C for your awesome words!!! Pray for you every day, that Jake's seizures stop and you both can go back to school. Love you so much!!!!

Lisa A. said...

So glad you guys came! It wouldn't be a Alvarez party without you! Love you!

Brett A said...

HI! i am Brett ALVAREZ!I have seen one of jake's seizures. It scared me at first then i did a silly jig then he stopped his seisure.YES I AM POWERFUL!Jake i hope you fell better.

Your cousin Brett

Luke A. said...

Hi, I'm luke. I hope Jake gets better soon, because Jake is my cousin.