J a k e

J a k e
at the beach in Destin

Jake's story

July 21st was a normal day, as were the days of summer before. Everything was in it's place. School days were approaching and the family was enjoying the last days by the pool, ignored bedtimes and high popsicle counts.

Then July 22, 2008 came....

Jake had his first seizure. I did not recognize it as such. It was not until he had several more of these "little jerks" and bloody noses that I thought this could be seizure activity. We were scheduled to see a neurologist on August 4th, after going through our pediatrician, however we didn't make it that far. I was awakened August 1st, by Jake in a full seizure (6 minutes long)...he started to turn blue so I called 911....

Here begins our journey......

...we were taken by ambulance to the hospital. Checked in. Released. 3 more grand mal seizures after being released. Checked back in. Sent home 3 days later. Another grand mal, this one lasting a whopping 11 minutes and taken by ambulance again. Stayed at Childrens Dallas for a week. Upping meds, changing meds and mixing meds.
Diagnosis: Epilepsy
Cause: Unknown
We have now found, through some absolutely amazing family and extended family, whom I will NEVER be able to thank enough, the wonderful doctors and nurses at Cook Childrens Hospital in Fort Worth, who are continuing to help us through this. We have had another grand last thursday, and are averaging anywhere from 5-30 seizures (jerks, drops, stares) a day. I was to begin back teaching at Apollo, but am having to put that on hold until the seizures are controlled. Jake is not able to go back to school until he is 30 days seizure free. We are still waiting for that ONE day. Please pray for our family and for little Jake. Although this is not the end of the world, it is a huge hurdle we WILL overcome. Pray for courage for Jake, understanding as parents, good doctors and for the right medicines.

Jake's mom, Christine


Sunday, September 28, 2008

I sent my daughter to a party on the wrong day! Yes, that's correct. I thought Matt was going to be out of town still, so a couple weeks ago, when one of the never ending birthday invitations, once again appeared in Addison's "cubby" at school, I called my dad to chauffeur the princess. Even at that time, I said Sunday at 5:00. I had it so set in my head "Sunday at 5:00," that apparently I never went back to double check the invite.

This party has been behind many bribes all weekend, the child, with freshly wrapped present in hand, newly washed and combed hair, complete with a big pink bow and cowboys t-shirt, sat in the front window starting at 3:00 awaiting her 4:30 pickup. I can't believe I did this! Well...actually I can. The absolutely worst part, you ask?! I didn't realize I had sent Papa and Addison to a party location on the wrong day. It wasn't until Papa called 30 minutes after the party had started to inform me as such. He then continued to tell me they were fine, because they were attending another party at the same location. Papa and Addi are the "Pre-K party crashers!" Plano beware!

Jake has had a great weekend! Besides the fact, that today Matt and I were both about to run for the border, he has had low seizure activity and the side effects of the meds has been pretty good until the recent hours. I think he is overly tired and all this "stuff" is catching up with him, as it is all of us.

The kid has been a TERROR! I swear he is bound and determined to bust these stitches open again before their removal tomorrow. It all started on our way out the garage for our walk. I push the button to open the garage door, Jake runs out, as I am trying to juggle,the phone, his emergency meds, and the ipod. He reaches the door just in time to grab a hold with both hands and continue to ride the door almost all the way to the top! When we get home Addison and Jake have a contest, or something under the table, on who can flip off the couch the best, climb the window sill to open the blinds, do cartwheels on the hard woods, or hide under objects that a mouse could barely fit under. The anxiety level has been pretty high at the Peters' household This Cowboys' Sunday.

People that know Jake, know that he has one of the most infectious laughs ever. He starts to laugh and within seconds, no matter how much of a bad mood, or sad one might be in, I guarantee you will start to laugh too. It has been very nice hearing this amazing laugh all day today, but I think he might drive us to the loony bin. Luckily we are approaching the 8' o clock bedtime hour.

I think tomorrow is a full moon, and anyone who teaches, I think will agree with me, that can be quite scary!

God Bless~ Christine

PS~ I had not heard about the Matt Bryant story, from the Buccaneers, until today. People have mentioned that my family and I have incredible strength during all this. I think Matt Bryant has the most amazing strength. I can not imagine going out to play and performing to such high standards after what He and his family have just been through. He and his family are deep in my thoughts and prayers.


Brandy said...

Okay, you know how in STand By Me, they all want Gordy to tell one of his story's around the campfire? That's what this blog is for me...I canNOT WEEAAIITTT for you to write something. I am obsessed. Truly. Tell Jake to quit ridin' garage doors, good Lord!! I will always love the cowboys, but the BUCS are my boys now and have been for the last 10 years since I moved here. Matt Bryant is courageous, heroic and amazing....what a tower of strength.

Anonymous said...

I am sorry I had to laugh about the garage door ride and the couch flips....you deserve an entire bottle of wine for today.


Julie said...

Awesome C!!! Your words are really inspiring, and are helping me see what God can do!!!

lisa A. said...

I am still giggling about his antics this evening! Love you guys!

Leslie said...

LOL about the garage door and I can just see your reaction too...as I always tend to say to you, HOW DO YOU DO IT?! Love you!