J a k e

J a k e
at the beach in Destin

Jake's story

July 21st was a normal day, as were the days of summer before. Everything was in it's place. School days were approaching and the family was enjoying the last days by the pool, ignored bedtimes and high popsicle counts.

Then July 22, 2008 came....

Jake had his first seizure. I did not recognize it as such. It was not until he had several more of these "little jerks" and bloody noses that I thought this could be seizure activity. We were scheduled to see a neurologist on August 4th, after going through our pediatrician, however we didn't make it that far. I was awakened August 1st, by Jake in a full seizure (6 minutes long)...he started to turn blue so I called 911....

Here begins our journey......

...we were taken by ambulance to the hospital. Checked in. Released. 3 more grand mal seizures after being released. Checked back in. Sent home 3 days later. Another grand mal, this one lasting a whopping 11 minutes and taken by ambulance again. Stayed at Childrens Dallas for a week. Upping meds, changing meds and mixing meds.
Diagnosis: Epilepsy
Cause: Unknown
We have now found, through some absolutely amazing family and extended family, whom I will NEVER be able to thank enough, the wonderful doctors and nurses at Cook Childrens Hospital in Fort Worth, who are continuing to help us through this. We have had another grand last thursday, and are averaging anywhere from 5-30 seizures (jerks, drops, stares) a day. I was to begin back teaching at Apollo, but am having to put that on hold until the seizures are controlled. Jake is not able to go back to school until he is 30 days seizure free. We are still waiting for that ONE day. Please pray for our family and for little Jake. Although this is not the end of the world, it is a huge hurdle we WILL overcome. Pray for courage for Jake, understanding as parents, good doctors and for the right medicines.

Jake's mom, Christine


Wednesday, November 5, 2008

It's a sad day in the Peters' household.

Over the last couple days we gained two new additions to the family.

The first a green, turtle sandbox to help keep Jake busy during, what appear to be getting longer days. There are only so many activities we can find to do all day long. However, the sandbox has beena wonderful addition to our daily schedule. I have to high five you stay at home moms!:-)

The second, a bright blue, with red feathery fins, beta fish. Addison picked her "Spot Alvarez Peters" out, carried him home, fed him, and even made sure he had a nightlight. She ran to see him every day after school and checked on him several times throughout the evening. She had earned her first pet and couldn't be prouder.

It was about 4:30pm when I heard a terrible, gut wrenching scream. As I run to see the cause of the commotion. Addison comes runing from her room, unable to talk or even mutter a sound over her heavy bawling. She is slowly followed by her brother, holding a blue fish net, and bearing an evil grin.

Her , oh so loving brother, found the fish net, scooped Spot out of the pristine fish tank, neatly set on Addison's window sil, and threw him down the drain, all while the little princess watched her beloved pet meet his fate down the long and winding drian pipe.

After much anguish in trying to rescue the poor beta, we surrendered our efforts. Spot could now be swimming under the endless streets of Plano, Texas, as Nemo once did, searching for his long lost family.

It is with a sad heart that I tell you, Spot Alvarez Peters lost his battle to the little brother Jake Peters at approximately 4:45 central time.

Rest in peace Spot.

God Bless~ Christine


Anonymous said...

I am sure Addison is very upset but I had to laugh!! Susan

Julie said...

That is HILARIOUS- I so wish I could see the look on Jake's face- Poor Addi- I guess she needs another fish since you spent all that money on a new aquarium.

lisa a said...

That is the funniest thing I have ever read! Going to bed with a smile!:)

Jennie said...

Holy crap that is funny.

Anonymous said...

Jake, we haven't seen you in three years and Aunt Sally(grandma), told us how things have gone for you. Sounds like you're coming along better and we wish you nothing but the best and all of our love. We are sorry about the loss of Addison's fish, at least for Addison's sake anyway.
Love cousins,
Scott, Julie, Turner and Griffin

Brandy said...

seriously, that happened? That little jake...what a character! Truly hilarious, but sad for Addi!