J a k e

J a k e
at the beach in Destin

Jake's story

July 21st was a normal day, as were the days of summer before. Everything was in it's place. School days were approaching and the family was enjoying the last days by the pool, ignored bedtimes and high popsicle counts.

Then July 22, 2008 came....

Jake had his first seizure. I did not recognize it as such. It was not until he had several more of these "little jerks" and bloody noses that I thought this could be seizure activity. We were scheduled to see a neurologist on August 4th, after going through our pediatrician, however we didn't make it that far. I was awakened August 1st, by Jake in a full seizure (6 minutes long)...he started to turn blue so I called 911....

Here begins our journey......

...we were taken by ambulance to the hospital. Checked in. Released. 3 more grand mal seizures after being released. Checked back in. Sent home 3 days later. Another grand mal, this one lasting a whopping 11 minutes and taken by ambulance again. Stayed at Childrens Dallas for a week. Upping meds, changing meds and mixing meds.
Diagnosis: Epilepsy
Cause: Unknown
We have now found, through some absolutely amazing family and extended family, whom I will NEVER be able to thank enough, the wonderful doctors and nurses at Cook Childrens Hospital in Fort Worth, who are continuing to help us through this. We have had another grand last thursday, and are averaging anywhere from 5-30 seizures (jerks, drops, stares) a day. I was to begin back teaching at Apollo, but am having to put that on hold until the seizures are controlled. Jake is not able to go back to school until he is 30 days seizure free. We are still waiting for that ONE day. Please pray for our family and for little Jake. Although this is not the end of the world, it is a huge hurdle we WILL overcome. Pray for courage for Jake, understanding as parents, good doctors and for the right medicines.

Jake's mom, Christine


Monday, December 29, 2008

BIRTHDAYS, seizures, ers, stitches, ear rings, dolls, oh my!

Addi's birthday started with a bang...literally!

I was lying in bed all night watching the darn video monitor, as I "had a feeling."

Finally at about 5:00am, I was planning the day in my head and wishing Jake would make his morning journey to our bed, so I could log a couple hours sleep, as opposed to watching the dreaded, light, buzzing machine that stations it self on my bed side table.

At about 5:45, as Matt was showering, I hear Jake, get up and about to make that trip. I try, like usual to run to him, to carry him to our room, so he won't fall.

This birthday morning, as I turn the corner to the hall, I watch him, bite it, and lay screaming bloody murder.

I hesitate.

I finally, after a couple seconds, gain the confidence to make that, 10 foot journey to where he lays.

I pick him up. Look down...and there lays a puddle of blood.

Happy Birthday Addison. (under my breathe of course)

I lay him on the, soon bloody, counter and peer into his chin, to see bone.


I meet Matt as he is getting dressed, and announce, "I have to go."

I get somewhat dressed, and try to stop the bleeding, as Addi gets out of bed and crys..."why, Why does this keep happening?" "I hate when this happens to him."

We load Jake up, after an, what seems, endless, search for my keys and head out.

I head out, straight into the front of Matt's car.

Damn it!

He never parks there, and I should have been looking!

Luckily, nothing, or at least, not much, is wrong with either car, but I still have an awful back ache and neck ache from the jarring.
We sit, and sit some more in the er with 2 black eyes and a huge opening in his chin only to emerge, 21 stitches, and 3 hours later, just in time to hit Addi's birthday party at American Girl.

My mom and Addison relieved Matt so he could go to work and they could get to her 9 :00 am brunch reservations at the store.

They meet us at the hospital with fresh clothes for themselves and Jake, leaving me to hit the doll wonderland, with yesterday's makeup, dirty and bloody clothes, and no bill of confidence!

BUT, this is my precious daugthers, much anticipated 5th birthday!

The day was planned with Aunt Tiffany, cousin Wes and Austin. Brunch with cousins, aunt, Babi and dolls, ear piercing and whatever may transpire.

Breakfast was great and we did meet the 9:00 am reservation. "Sally", the doll, ate, and got her ears pierced.
Aunt Tiffany spoiled Addi too much at the store and we eventually made our way to get Addison's ears pierced.

We get to good ole' Sweet and Sassy" and Addison, goes kind of blank, but still manages to run around, until the "moment!"

She sits on the big pink throne and waits as we analyze the black dots, soon to be holes in her ears. She gets a quivering lip and says "she doesn't want them."

I remember how long she has talked about these ear rings, that I have forbidden for so long, and think about what Jake has been through, and eventually nod at the teens, as if to say "lets do this," putting permanent holes in my daughters ears.

She was fine with the initial piercing, until the "other girl, obviously unexperienced" gets the ear ring gun stuck in Addi's ear.

Geez make all these "pokes" stop!

They finally get the gun lodged in her ear away, however Addison is terrified to even look in the mirror.

I thought this was supposed to be fun?!

The princess finally comes around, as Jake is begging for bed and Addson is now begging to go to Aunt Tiffany's and Uncle Chad's house.

Tiffany, graciously, takes Addi for more fun at Chuck E Cheese, as Jake and I go home for some slumber.

The kids wake and I realize I still need to hit the grocery store for her "family birthday party."

However, grocery store shopping can never be, quick trip easy, can it?

Sally, the doll, has to go along, in her stroller, straight from playing "soccer."

So we head out, Jake in his blue helmet and Addison pushing her stroller.

We got stares, laughs, and questionable glances, but over all what an awesome experience!

Stitches suck, ers suck, tired kids suck, but I have them and they our ours!

They were spoiled by loving family this week, today, and always....what more can I ask for?! I have kids with me, whom are loved by so many!
flowers from Granny and Poppi

Three grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.

God Bless~ Christine

Needless to say, my long day ended like this:

1 comment:

Brandy said...

ugh, jakey boy...you'll have to tell me what the doc said about the constant re-opening of that wound. You are amazing...I say it everytime! I am sure Addi had the best day and thank GOD for Tiffany! xoxoxo