J a k e

J a k e
at the beach in Destin

Jake's story

July 21st was a normal day, as were the days of summer before. Everything was in it's place. School days were approaching and the family was enjoying the last days by the pool, ignored bedtimes and high popsicle counts.

Then July 22, 2008 came....

Jake had his first seizure. I did not recognize it as such. It was not until he had several more of these "little jerks" and bloody noses that I thought this could be seizure activity. We were scheduled to see a neurologist on August 4th, after going through our pediatrician, however we didn't make it that far. I was awakened August 1st, by Jake in a full seizure (6 minutes long)...he started to turn blue so I called 911....

Here begins our journey......

...we were taken by ambulance to the hospital. Checked in. Released. 3 more grand mal seizures after being released. Checked back in. Sent home 3 days later. Another grand mal, this one lasting a whopping 11 minutes and taken by ambulance again. Stayed at Childrens Dallas for a week. Upping meds, changing meds and mixing meds.
Diagnosis: Epilepsy
Cause: Unknown
We have now found, through some absolutely amazing family and extended family, whom I will NEVER be able to thank enough, the wonderful doctors and nurses at Cook Childrens Hospital in Fort Worth, who are continuing to help us through this. We have had another grand last thursday, and are averaging anywhere from 5-30 seizures (jerks, drops, stares) a day. I was to begin back teaching at Apollo, but am having to put that on hold until the seizures are controlled. Jake is not able to go back to school until he is 30 days seizure free. We are still waiting for that ONE day. Please pray for our family and for little Jake. Although this is not the end of the world, it is a huge hurdle we WILL overcome. Pray for courage for Jake, understanding as parents, good doctors and for the right medicines.

Jake's mom, Christine


Monday, December 22, 2008

O' Holy Night

The kids, my mom and I head out to the annual, Hickman Christmas party. I won't even try to describe, as no one would understand the Christmas monstrosity that are the Hickman parties. It is so amazing, that there are actual tours that run through the house and Wednesday's child has even aired from this house on a local tv station.

Beautiful house, amazing food, never ending drinks, friends that we have not seen in forever, family..what else could any one ask for.

Yada, yada, yada, we know where all this is going don't we?!

Well before I get to the "good stuff," Addison was also planning on her first slumber party this evening! My best friend came in from Houston with her daughters and invited Addi to stay with them at her mom's house. Addison was a little apprehensive, but once she saw Emma, she was FIRED up to say the least. If wanting to strip at the Hickman's party in front of at least 100 people, or talking to bananas, or screaming "zippity doo daa," has any inflection on how excited she was, I think she was just a tad happy to go stay with Emma and Julie, even if Duke didn't make the trip.

The party is a come and go party. I let Matt get a kitchen pass, as much as he wanted to go, I could tell he was worn out from the Peter's Christmas, we just hosted at our house, endless traveling for work, and starting another work week the next day.

So Jake, Addison and my mom stop by for a moment and plan to do "the switch" with Julie, that is leaving my first and only girl for her first sleepover.

As my mom and I are heading out, we take Jake's new helmet off. Jake plays around my mom on the pristine, white ceramic tile. He figures he is bored over there, 10 feet from me, and makes his way to me. I am watching him make that 10-12 foot journey to me...I am talking to Julie's sister about Jake and greater aspirations for all, I watch him, in slow motion, fall face forward into the gorgeous white tile. I look at my mom and she is too watching him, but not moving...this is probably over a 2-3 second time period , but I feel as if it is 10 minutes. I go get Jake, and finally, that awful, gut wrenching, head cracking, sound rings in my ears. The sound that literally made the room stand still. I remember looking around and trying to see if everyone was looking at us, but they weren't, however the noise, that I could barely hear myself think over, was now silent.

I pick up my son and am sooo happy to see NO BLOOD!!!! I hold him, as my mother and Rosie cry. I then start to cry, not for Jake per say, but because of the anguish I saw in their eyes. The hope and the desperation they want for Jake.

Andrea runs and gets an ice pack, I blow her off, as I don't need it. He only has a blood blister. A couple minutes pass as we plan on Addi's big night. I look back at Jakerdoodle and the blood blister now has a friend. A golf ball right in between his eyes. I then start to panic.

I have never seen a welt on the head that big. After much over analyzing and contemplation, Matt and I take Jake to an after hours pediatric care by our ouse. The dr. does a thorough exam and we don't have to go get a cscan, as previously recommended by another pediatric after care clinic.

The kid looks like "Rocky" from Mask, starring Cher, and will surely have 2 black eyes to greet Santa's presents, but he is fine.

It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness.

God Bless~ Christine

I am unsure if "the crack" and fall was a seizure or not...assuming it wasn't yesterdays count was 1-2, if that.

today we have had none until I started typing as he has had 2.


Brandy said...

I knew it when you said "crack". Oh my goodness. I have never seen a blood blister. Little Jake. What an angel....

Julie said...

Geez, I have seen many forehead booboos, but never one like that!!! He is a trooper for sure- I am glad you made it to the party, even though it ended not so great. Glue that helmet to his head!!!!

Anonymous said...

My brother ran into a brick wall playing as a kid and he got one of those big ole lumps....It looks so bad but then it just goes away. Hope you have very Merry Christmas and have a seizure free day.