J a k e

J a k e
at the beach in Destin

Jake's story

July 21st was a normal day, as were the days of summer before. Everything was in it's place. School days were approaching and the family was enjoying the last days by the pool, ignored bedtimes and high popsicle counts.

Then July 22, 2008 came....

Jake had his first seizure. I did not recognize it as such. It was not until he had several more of these "little jerks" and bloody noses that I thought this could be seizure activity. We were scheduled to see a neurologist on August 4th, after going through our pediatrician, however we didn't make it that far. I was awakened August 1st, by Jake in a full seizure (6 minutes long)...he started to turn blue so I called 911....

Here begins our journey......

...we were taken by ambulance to the hospital. Checked in. Released. 3 more grand mal seizures after being released. Checked back in. Sent home 3 days later. Another grand mal, this one lasting a whopping 11 minutes and taken by ambulance again. Stayed at Childrens Dallas for a week. Upping meds, changing meds and mixing meds.
Diagnosis: Epilepsy
Cause: Unknown
We have now found, through some absolutely amazing family and extended family, whom I will NEVER be able to thank enough, the wonderful doctors and nurses at Cook Childrens Hospital in Fort Worth, who are continuing to help us through this. We have had another grand last thursday, and are averaging anywhere from 5-30 seizures (jerks, drops, stares) a day. I was to begin back teaching at Apollo, but am having to put that on hold until the seizures are controlled. Jake is not able to go back to school until he is 30 days seizure free. We are still waiting for that ONE day. Please pray for our family and for little Jake. Although this is not the end of the world, it is a huge hurdle we WILL overcome. Pray for courage for Jake, understanding as parents, good doctors and for the right medicines.

Jake's mom, Christine


*********************************************************

Monday, December 8, 2008

We had a very eventful weekend to say the least.


We started the weekend Friday evening with getting Jakes stitches out (YEAH!), having family over Friday night and my niece spending the night. That sure was a lot of fun. The girls went to bed way too late,




but finally hit the sack in anticipation of the annual Christmas parade and Brett's birthday the next day!



Jake and his cousin rise around 7:30, as Addison sleeps in. After many attempts, begging Jake to go to the playroom (carpetted area), he finally abides and climbs into his recliner. I look in on him, as I am cleaning, at precisely the exact moment I see him dive into the arm of the chair. As I run to him, he looks at me with a full face, or chin, of blood. Again, I mumble something under breath, and look at his chin to see a gapping hole. I refuse to go to the er, so we take the kids to the parade and wait for the clinic, that I love, and knows Jake by name, to open at noon.



The doctor sees him, but decides he is missing a big chunk of skin and doesn't want to "sew infection in." I ask if a plastic chin implant would be a good idea, however he didn't appreciate my humor. I then ask at what point we should consult with a plastic surgeon. I don't know if he thought I was kidding again or not, but also advised that this would not be necessary. So we walk out with sterile strips glued on and a bandage that is supposed to last, per the doctor, 5-7 days and should be "just as good as stitches."

We get home feed the twerps anad put them down for a nap. When they awake, we try to get organized and cleaned up to go to the bithday party. About a hour before the she-bang is to begin, Addison barges into the bathroom as I am showering yelling "he did it again and it's bad!" I mumble something under my breath, cover up and slowly approach "the scene." As I make my way to daddy and Jake crying in the kitchen I notice markers and blood on the floor...obviously "the scene" of the accident.

I am not quite sure why , even after so many accidents, but I was not prepared for the sight. Jake had blood coming from both nostrils, a loose tooth, scraped gums, a huge fat lip, a red and swollen check, and......a gash in the chin!










"C'mon, give the kid a break!"








I call the clinic, they remember Jake and advise not to bother coming in, but rather to try and rebandage him using butterfly closures.

We do just that and hit Brett's 10th birthday! Happy Birthday Big Boy! It was a lot of fun, but Jake and I headed out early, because he was definitely acting very wobbly and not quite himself.

We are just about 48 hours from the last bloody event and holding strong! Wish us luck!

At least the kid will never have a double chin!


God Bless~ Christine

2 comments:

Brandy said...

Good Lord, Christine. I talked to you on your way to the clinic, canNOT belEEEEEve he did it later that night. Goodness gracious. I mean, if I, the reader, keep saying "again?", I can only imagine what you guys say! You can bet I'd be muttering lots of stuff under my breath, as well! Hang in there, love.

xoxoxo

andie said...

As I sit here almost in tears thinking of what it must be like to even have one of those incidents occur, I feel a sense of guilt come over myself for the way I yell at my two completely healthy children for stupid things like asking me quesions over and over again. You are truly remarkable and respected by all. It is amazing the mother and woman that you have become.