J a k e

J a k e
at the beach in Destin

Jake's story

July 21st was a normal day, as were the days of summer before. Everything was in it's place. School days were approaching and the family was enjoying the last days by the pool, ignored bedtimes and high popsicle counts.

Then July 22, 2008 came....

Jake had his first seizure. I did not recognize it as such. It was not until he had several more of these "little jerks" and bloody noses that I thought this could be seizure activity. We were scheduled to see a neurologist on August 4th, after going through our pediatrician, however we didn't make it that far. I was awakened August 1st, by Jake in a full seizure (6 minutes long)...he started to turn blue so I called 911....

Here begins our journey......

...we were taken by ambulance to the hospital. Checked in. Released. 3 more grand mal seizures after being released. Checked back in. Sent home 3 days later. Another grand mal, this one lasting a whopping 11 minutes and taken by ambulance again. Stayed at Childrens Dallas for a week. Upping meds, changing meds and mixing meds.
Diagnosis: Epilepsy
Cause: Unknown
We have now found, through some absolutely amazing family and extended family, whom I will NEVER be able to thank enough, the wonderful doctors and nurses at Cook Childrens Hospital in Fort Worth, who are continuing to help us through this. We have had another grand last thursday, and are averaging anywhere from 5-30 seizures (jerks, drops, stares) a day. I was to begin back teaching at Apollo, but am having to put that on hold until the seizures are controlled. Jake is not able to go back to school until he is 30 days seizure free. We are still waiting for that ONE day. Please pray for our family and for little Jake. Although this is not the end of the world, it is a huge hurdle we WILL overcome. Pray for courage for Jake, understanding as parents, good doctors and for the right medicines.

Jake's mom, Christine


*********************************************************

Monday, March 30, 2009

Peaceful gone bad

So last Wednesday we had some storms roll through North Texas. The kids and I lit some candles, whipped out the board games and the Wii, and watched the rain "make bubbles" in the pool. We love to watch the bubbles form on the pools surface as the constant, peaceful and tranquilizing sound of the rain relaxes us all.


As we are staring out the window, reminiscing on the day and what dreams may come, Jake has a seizure. No big deal in our life, right?


He's wearing the gorgeous helmet.


No sweat.


Nice try.


On his way down Jake's gums grab the window sill and Jake continues to the floor.


Jake already has 2 or 3 black teeth from similar incidents, and has already lost his frenum because of a recent stint looking out the window.


Since I am so near, when I go to Jake there is still no blood. He isn't crying "that bad" so I pick him up to investigate. Welcome BLOOD.


I lift his lip and there swinging, as if there is a breeze, is an inch of his upper gum. I am thinking, "We have been through this before , they can't stitch gums at my favorite after hours care clinic, and I hate trips to the ER.


I then email this picture to friends, asking their advice. Going as far as emailing and calling my friend who is knee deep in happy hour to ask her and her friends advice.



I explain to everyone that the gum is torn from the tooth line and even if they wanted to sew, there would be nothing to sew it to.

I am advised, however to hit the er.

I hesitate and call my after hours clinic and they say they can look at the massacre and then advise if we need to go to the er. Awesome news to me. I will be out 35$, but that is better than hours in the emergency room and less 100$.

They confirm that it is a nasty wound and they think it needs to be stitched BUT there is nothing to stitch it to.

We leave with Rx's for topical antibiotics and proper care.

Here continues the exciting Peters life!

As if the initial cut isn't bad enough, he has "re opened" this lovely would about 3 times over the weekend.

Yummo!

You win some, you lose some, and some get rained out, but you got to suit up for them all.

J. Askenberg

God Bless~ Christine

No comments: