J a k e

J a k e
at the beach in Destin

Jake's story

July 21st was a normal day, as were the days of summer before. Everything was in it's place. School days were approaching and the family was enjoying the last days by the pool, ignored bedtimes and high popsicle counts.

Then July 22, 2008 came....

Jake had his first seizure. I did not recognize it as such. It was not until he had several more of these "little jerks" and bloody noses that I thought this could be seizure activity. We were scheduled to see a neurologist on August 4th, after going through our pediatrician, however we didn't make it that far. I was awakened August 1st, by Jake in a full seizure (6 minutes long)...he started to turn blue so I called 911....

Here begins our journey......

...we were taken by ambulance to the hospital. Checked in. Released. 3 more grand mal seizures after being released. Checked back in. Sent home 3 days later. Another grand mal, this one lasting a whopping 11 minutes and taken by ambulance again. Stayed at Childrens Dallas for a week. Upping meds, changing meds and mixing meds.
Diagnosis: Epilepsy
Cause: Unknown
We have now found, through some absolutely amazing family and extended family, whom I will NEVER be able to thank enough, the wonderful doctors and nurses at Cook Childrens Hospital in Fort Worth, who are continuing to help us through this. We have had another grand last thursday, and are averaging anywhere from 5-30 seizures (jerks, drops, stares) a day. I was to begin back teaching at Apollo, but am having to put that on hold until the seizures are controlled. Jake is not able to go back to school until he is 30 days seizure free. We are still waiting for that ONE day. Please pray for our family and for little Jake. Although this is not the end of the world, it is a huge hurdle we WILL overcome. Pray for courage for Jake, understanding as parents, good doctors and for the right medicines.

Jake's mom, Christine


Sunday, April 5, 2009

Strollin, Strollin, strollin

Wowzers!! What a fantastic, overwhelming, exciting, tiring, and way too short weekend!

The outpouring of love and support was absolutely AMAZING at the stroll!
This was our team "All 4 Jake." In this picture there were even several people missing. The love that has been shown for Jake and our family is truly amazing! I was so overwhelmed at the event, I was so sad I didn't get to talk to more of our dear friends. The day seemed to fly by and lying in bed that night I couldn't wrap my head around why people would want to be there for me and my family. I felt guilty that I couldn't sit and spend good quality time with each and everyone of you. However your support, kindness, donations and PRAYERS are always on my mind and they are not forgotten!

Jake even had a Panther crew take a bus out to the event. They made their own shirts and even brought some "lil' Panthers to be!" Thank you Deighton, Jodi, Melissa, Kelan and Ashley for your support. I have told you before, you think this was little simple gesture, but you have absolutely no clue how touching it is to us! Thank you!
The kids had an awesome time. When we drove up to the the zoo and they saw the entrance, they literally started screaming at the top of their lungs. I was astonished by the line waiting to get into the event. All the hundreds of cars were there to support Epilepsy Awareness. I was overwhelmed.

I still am overwhelmed and my writing is surely reflecting that(in a negative way). It has been one long, tiring, and all too short weekend.

After we met for pictures Jake was able to go "behind the scenes" and feed the Galapagos tortoises. The kid showed no fear. I was a little afraid, as the turtles snapping mouths were huge and were all to close to my kids and me.

After the event, it was go time for me. Matt and I sped home, I hopped in the shower and Matt put Jake down for a much needed nap.

I hosted a baby shower for Mr. Cole Edward Cornstubble and his mommy and daddy. That again, was an awesome time. I was able to see the gorgeous mommy to be and many friends from high school!

After the shower I raced home, changed, kissed the kids, and again ran off to for dinner at a friends house. We had set to meet, because there were many fiends in town for the event and the shower. We rarely get to see each other so we planned and very much looked forward to this evening. By this time we were all exhausted, however managed to stay up way past our bed time, laughing, crying and reminiscing.It was an outstanding weekend! I can't believe the people I saw, the support that was given, and the great times spent with friends and family. I wish it could happen more often.
I wish it could happen under better circumstances.
Why does it take an illness like this to get everyone together?
Why don't we all appreciate life more in the first place?
I now see life in a completely different way.
Maybe this is a lesson the Lord is trying to teach me.

As far as Jake goes...It has been a very rough week. As the days, hours, minutes pass, the seizures seem to increase. Today it seemed as is every couple minutes there was some sort of seizure activity.

This makes me so sad, mad, and desperate for treatments.

I find my self wanting him to to just sleep and nap all day, because I can watch him peaceful in slumber.

I don't have to stress about leaving the room, how close he is to a hard object or piece of furniture, and don't have to carry him around trying to avoid injuries.

What kind of quality of life is that?

Sincere Thanks to everyone who was able to make the event, donate to the foundation, and who keeps us in your prayers.

We had a fantastic weekend and held our little ones a little closer with each hug.

We hope you did and will continue to do the same.

Above all else, know this: Be prepared at all times for the gifts of God and be ready always for new ones. For God is a thousand times more ready to give than we are to receive.

God Bless~ Christine


Julie said...

Love it!!!

Anonymous said...

WOW!! Thanks for the update. We will keep Jake and his courageous family in our prayers.
The Hickmans