J a k e

J a k e
at the beach in Destin

Jake's story

July 21st was a normal day, as were the days of summer before. Everything was in it's place. School days were approaching and the family was enjoying the last days by the pool, ignored bedtimes and high popsicle counts.

Then July 22, 2008 came....

Jake had his first seizure. I did not recognize it as such. It was not until he had several more of these "little jerks" and bloody noses that I thought this could be seizure activity. We were scheduled to see a neurologist on August 4th, after going through our pediatrician, however we didn't make it that far. I was awakened August 1st, by Jake in a full seizure (6 minutes long)...he started to turn blue so I called 911....

Here begins our journey......

...we were taken by ambulance to the hospital. Checked in. Released. 3 more grand mal seizures after being released. Checked back in. Sent home 3 days later. Another grand mal, this one lasting a whopping 11 minutes and taken by ambulance again. Stayed at Childrens Dallas for a week. Upping meds, changing meds and mixing meds.
Diagnosis: Epilepsy
Cause: Unknown
We have now found, through some absolutely amazing family and extended family, whom I will NEVER be able to thank enough, the wonderful doctors and nurses at Cook Childrens Hospital in Fort Worth, who are continuing to help us through this. We have had another grand last thursday, and are averaging anywhere from 5-30 seizures (jerks, drops, stares) a day. I was to begin back teaching at Apollo, but am having to put that on hold until the seizures are controlled. Jake is not able to go back to school until he is 30 days seizure free. We are still waiting for that ONE day. Please pray for our family and for little Jake. Although this is not the end of the world, it is a huge hurdle we WILL overcome. Pray for courage for Jake, understanding as parents, good doctors and for the right medicines.

Jake's mom, Christine


Tuesday, April 14, 2009


We did it.
We awoke at 3:30am Good Friday morning to make the trek to Forth Worth for Jake's VNS surgery.

Jake was a trooper to say the least!

The kid did not mind one bit, the pokes, the tests, and all the doctors and nurses running in and out of our room.

At about 7:30 the neurosurgeon came in for our last minute consult. After he answered all of our questions,he had one for us.

He asked "Can I pray with you now?"

I was blown away, to say the least.

At this moment all my anxieties and fears were lifted.

I have not felt that much peace in a long while.

Dr. Honeycut, then left and our wait began.

He had another surgery before Jake's. So we waited while nurses and anesthesiologist continued to add drugs to his iv. Finally, the moment came. We were forced to say goodbye to our little champ. We kissed, hugged and kissed him some more as the nurse rolled him away from us.

We waited for what felt like forever for them to tell us Jake was ok.
The doctor finally emerged a couple hours later with the wonderful news that all is well and we will just have to wait a short time to go see Jake.

More waiting...and we finally got back to see our hero.
He lifted his head once and said mommy and then drifted back to sleep.

we waited, encouraged him to awake, and waited some more.

We were told we could take him home when he was awake and that should be about 30 minutes to a hour.

We have now waited almost 2 hours and he still wouldn't awaken or stay awake. A couple times I thought surely he was back with us only to find myself grabbing bags so he could throw up.

We were finally able to arouse him awake several hours later, however he was not himself.
Jake would not smile, move, talk, or show any emotion.
This continued for a couple hours before we had 2 anesthesiologist over us, informing us this is not normal and we may need to stay the night.

In true Jake form, Jake showed those dr.s he was not staying another night. After some teasing from Granny, Jake was awake and doing well. We finally got to go home!
We are at home now, 4 days after the surgery and things are really going well.

Jake is a drunken soldier, as he was on much Valium at the hospital and we started a new AED on Friday, BUT the seizures have seemed to really decrease!
His mind appears to be really clear and his thinking skills are amazing!
I pray that this is just the start of something good and new.

What better of a weekend to celebrate new beginnings for Jake!

Easter weekend!

He has Risen indeed!

"He is not here: for he is risen, as he said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay. And go quickly, and tell his disciples that he is risen from the dead; and, behold, he goeth before you into Galilee; there shall ye see him: lo, I have told you. And they departed quickly from the sepulchre with fear and great joy; and did run to bring his disciples word. And as they went to tell his disciples, behold, Jesus met them, saying, All hail. And they came and held him by the feet, and worshipped him. Then said Jesus unto them, Be not afraid: go tell my brethren that they go into Galilee, and there shall they see me."-- Matthew 28: 6-10 KJV

"The great gift of Easter is hope - Christian hope which makes us have that confidence in God, in his ultimate triumph, and in his goodness and love, which nothing can shake."-- Basil C. Hume

God Bless~ Christine

(the incision and a "bump" where the device was implanted)


Leslie said...

So glad he is doing well! Love you!

Fawn said...

I didn't get to leave a comment on your pre-surgery post, but I've been thinking so much about you all. What a huge, scary step to take! How wonderful that the doctor took a moment to pray with you! I have tears in my eyes, and I pray that this will really be "IT".

Blessings to all of you.

Julie said...

Awesome- still praying.

Brandy said...

So hopefull!! SO very, very hopefull! I hope this is it...praying continuously. xoxox