J a k e

J a k e
at the beach in Destin

Jake's story

July 21st was a normal day, as were the days of summer before. Everything was in it's place. School days were approaching and the family was enjoying the last days by the pool, ignored bedtimes and high popsicle counts.

Then July 22, 2008 came....

Jake had his first seizure. I did not recognize it as such. It was not until he had several more of these "little jerks" and bloody noses that I thought this could be seizure activity. We were scheduled to see a neurologist on August 4th, after going through our pediatrician, however we didn't make it that far. I was awakened August 1st, by Jake in a full seizure (6 minutes long)...he started to turn blue so I called 911....

Here begins our journey......

...we were taken by ambulance to the hospital. Checked in. Released. 3 more grand mal seizures after being released. Checked back in. Sent home 3 days later. Another grand mal, this one lasting a whopping 11 minutes and taken by ambulance again. Stayed at Childrens Dallas for a week. Upping meds, changing meds and mixing meds.
Diagnosis: Epilepsy
Cause: Unknown
We have now found, through some absolutely amazing family and extended family, whom I will NEVER be able to thank enough, the wonderful doctors and nurses at Cook Childrens Hospital in Fort Worth, who are continuing to help us through this. We have had another grand last thursday, and are averaging anywhere from 5-30 seizures (jerks, drops, stares) a day. I was to begin back teaching at Apollo, but am having to put that on hold until the seizures are controlled. Jake is not able to go back to school until he is 30 days seizure free. We are still waiting for that ONE day. Please pray for our family and for little Jake. Although this is not the end of the world, it is a huge hurdle we WILL overcome. Pray for courage for Jake, understanding as parents, good doctors and for the right medicines.

Jake's mom, Christine


Sunday, June 14, 2009

All 4 Jake- High Strung Classic by Matt Peters

High Strung Classic

Well the High Strung Classic has come to a close and nothing short of classic would describe the event. Last year was our first event which was basically brewed after John and Stacy's Bailey's weddding in Houston. As we sat around talking about how many fish we could catch and who had the best skills on the water, we decided to put the proof in the pudding and form a fishing tournament. From lure names of the "SuperDog" to "CroakerSoaker", the event was meant for a group of friends to meet in Port Mansfield, fish a little, and generate memories of a lifetime. With the group we have, the goal of making memories is not hard to come by. We have seen the likes of a fake sting ray thrown at the feet of a unsuspecting opponent, bad gatorade which lead to the quote "Move your feet", a 8' shark chasing us on the boat, the heimlech, a heimlech hero, and even a sighting of the late Johnny Cash, very rare, even in Port Mansfield. But the most touching was the idea that this year's event would be an awareness to Jakes condition.
Mid April as we approached the tourney season, John called one evening and asked if he could put together an event that would bring in friends and family to help raise awareness for Jake and our family. I was completely taken back by the offer and was excited that we could add a few more open ears to the cause. Behind the scenes, John began his work of organizing not only all of us yahoo's but many others whom do not know us. He called many of his friends, co-workers, vendors, customers and family to get involved with Jakes journey. After it was all said and done, John had doubled the tournament size and organized a top notch high class fishing tournament complete with sponsors, T-Shirts, prize money for the top teams, and a catered dinner for the awards cerimony. As I look back, seeing the boats lined up at the harbor waiting for the horn, it really hit me. The effort, time and dedication to get this organized in such a short period of time is truely remarkable and a test to John's ethic. The fishing was great! Everyone caught something, at least that is what was said during the weigh-in. At the weigh-in, we found that team "Gills Gone Wild" redfish and trout had what it took as the team cleaned house for both big fish awards. Newcomers, Phil Hanusch and Jeff Phillips, had the heaviest stringer and took home the coveted High Strung Brass. Congratulations guys and hope to have you back next year. As you know, fluke things like loosing a stringer with an Eight Pound Red in the eleventh hour does not happen often. Nor will it be forgotten!!
At the awards cerimony, we all ate well and John passed out the prize money to the winners. The laughs, ribbing of teamates, and discussion of the one that got away were surrounding every table. About this time, I notice John hushing the crowd and lets everyone know that there is one more thing to give. At this point, he askes me to join him up front as the group has collectively something to give. John unrolles a hugh check made out to All4Jake. It is a donation of $5445.00 to assist with medical care expenses for Jake! John, I do not have enough words to describe what you have done. All I can say is THANK YOU!! I know life is all about AH-HA moments and this one hit me right between the eyes. The fortunes in life are family and friends. The blessings we have received since this has all began are uncountable.
I would like to say thank you to all the support, prayers, encouragement and love we have received from the numerous amounts of people in our lives.

God Bless~ Matt aka "Petey" Peters


Julie said...

Wow- that is truly amazing!!! What a blessing John is, way to go John!

Leslie said...

Way to blog Matt and so awesome of "Beetle"! He is a true friend!