J a k e

J a k e
at the beach in Destin

Jake's story

July 21st was a normal day, as were the days of summer before. Everything was in it's place. School days were approaching and the family was enjoying the last days by the pool, ignored bedtimes and high popsicle counts.

Then July 22, 2008 came....

Jake had his first seizure. I did not recognize it as such. It was not until he had several more of these "little jerks" and bloody noses that I thought this could be seizure activity. We were scheduled to see a neurologist on August 4th, after going through our pediatrician, however we didn't make it that far. I was awakened August 1st, by Jake in a full seizure (6 minutes long)...he started to turn blue so I called 911....

Here begins our journey......

...we were taken by ambulance to the hospital. Checked in. Released. 3 more grand mal seizures after being released. Checked back in. Sent home 3 days later. Another grand mal, this one lasting a whopping 11 minutes and taken by ambulance again. Stayed at Childrens Dallas for a week. Upping meds, changing meds and mixing meds.
Diagnosis: Epilepsy
Cause: Unknown
We have now found, through some absolutely amazing family and extended family, whom I will NEVER be able to thank enough, the wonderful doctors and nurses at Cook Childrens Hospital in Fort Worth, who are continuing to help us through this. We have had another grand last thursday, and are averaging anywhere from 5-30 seizures (jerks, drops, stares) a day. I was to begin back teaching at Apollo, but am having to put that on hold until the seizures are controlled. Jake is not able to go back to school until he is 30 days seizure free. We are still waiting for that ONE day. Please pray for our family and for little Jake. Although this is not the end of the world, it is a huge hurdle we WILL overcome. Pray for courage for Jake, understanding as parents, good doctors and for the right medicines.

Jake's mom, Christine


Monday, June 1, 2009


I was kidnapped!

My wonderful friends invaded my house Saturday morning with coffee and bagels and instructed me that I had a hour to get ready!

They informed me we were going to spend the day at the spa!

What an amazing surprise. I still have no clue how they pulled it off, but they did. I knew nothing of the event. Matt managed to work with the girls to set everything up and even miss the Colonial (golf tournament) to stay with the kids.

I can honestly say I have never been soo relaxed in my life.

After my family bid me farewell, We arrived at a gorgeous old house turned into a Spa. It was so strange how in the middle of the hustle and bustle of Dallas, there was such a serene setting.

We started the morning with a hour massage, then we were whisked upstairs for manicures and pedicures.

The day was rounded out with a fabulous lunch and many hours sipping on wine and chatting with my dear friends.

I could not have asked for a better birthday weekend.

The time and effort that everyone put in to make this reunion is truly mind blowing. It's almost embarrassing that so much thought was put into making a special day for me.

My circle of Friends are truly therapy and I thank them for such an amazing and wonderful day. You girls give me strength! I am so proud and lucky to have you in my life. I am inspired by your acts of kindness, your sincere words of wisdom and seeing the outstanding women and mothers you have become!

I am so fortunate to have my circle of friends.

Matt was out of town for my birthday and our actual anniversary ,so he surprised me with these gorgeous flowers sent to my school.

To say the least, this year's birthday and anniversary were like no other.

Jake news

Well Jake has given us a scare lately.

I had noted last week that something was "not quite right." He slept the majority if the, drooled, and complained of his throat hurting.

I took him to his pediatrician and all the tests, including a strep culture cam back normal.

The nuero ordered a blood test. The blood test came back with very elevated Depokote levels. This was concerning because Depokote could have a side effect of liver damage.

We were then told to go get more blood levels to make sure his liver was processing the medicines correctly and that he wasn't in toxicity.

I just heard back from the nuero and apparently everything is fine! Phew!

As much is that is wonderful news, I still am unsure why he is acting this way.

Something is not right and I feel helpless that I can't help him.

"Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour. For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up." ~ Bible: Ecclesiastes

God Bless~ Christine


Reid McKinley said...

Our son, Evan, was on Depakote for awhile (1 week?). He was not "with it" on depakote. It was right around when everything just nosed dived for us. We found that it raised his ammonia levels to a dangerous level. Valproate acid (sp?) didn't mix well with our son. It seems like that's what all the doctors want to try if you have Doose. It was a scary time for us when he was on Depakote. It is what caused us to first go to UNC-Chapel Hill Children's hospital. Here's some info on all the drugs he's been on:

We are still praying for Jake. May God bless you, him, and your family.

Julie said...

We love you too! It was the best weekend, the first annual Mother's Day spa day!!!

Brandy said...

so bummed I couldn't attend...hate that I am so far away! Your friends DO love you and always will! Love the hands picture...wish I could super-impose mine in there! Love you too!