J a k e

J a k e
at the beach in Destin

Jake's story

July 21st was a normal day, as were the days of summer before. Everything was in it's place. School days were approaching and the family was enjoying the last days by the pool, ignored bedtimes and high popsicle counts.

Then July 22, 2008 came....

Jake had his first seizure. I did not recognize it as such. It was not until he had several more of these "little jerks" and bloody noses that I thought this could be seizure activity. We were scheduled to see a neurologist on August 4th, after going through our pediatrician, however we didn't make it that far. I was awakened August 1st, by Jake in a full seizure (6 minutes long)...he started to turn blue so I called 911....

Here begins our journey......

...we were taken by ambulance to the hospital. Checked in. Released. 3 more grand mal seizures after being released. Checked back in. Sent home 3 days later. Another grand mal, this one lasting a whopping 11 minutes and taken by ambulance again. Stayed at Childrens Dallas for a week. Upping meds, changing meds and mixing meds.
Diagnosis: Epilepsy
Cause: Unknown
We have now found, through some absolutely amazing family and extended family, whom I will NEVER be able to thank enough, the wonderful doctors and nurses at Cook Childrens Hospital in Fort Worth, who are continuing to help us through this. We have had another grand last thursday, and are averaging anywhere from 5-30 seizures (jerks, drops, stares) a day. I was to begin back teaching at Apollo, but am having to put that on hold until the seizures are controlled. Jake is not able to go back to school until he is 30 days seizure free. We are still waiting for that ONE day. Please pray for our family and for little Jake. Although this is not the end of the world, it is a huge hurdle we WILL overcome. Pray for courage for Jake, understanding as parents, good doctors and for the right medicines.

Jake's mom, Christine


Friday, June 12, 2009

lunch anyone?

While I stepped away from Jake for a few short minutes, Jake decided to make his own lunch.

I have a normal 4 year old!

Two weeks ago or so, I don't think Jake would have had the energy to concoct such a plan.

He was so proud of his lunch. As much as I wanted to be annoyed and mad. I couldn't help but be so proud and grateful!

The kid is coming back to us in all his mischievous ways!

It has been almost 2 months since Jake has had seizures all day long.

I believe he has had a couple, if not more, nocturnal tc's. I wish they would all just leave this house, however I am so joyful that many have disappeared. God Is Great!

I pray that this improvement continues.

I think I learned to appreciate and treasure eachday, because you don't know how many you are goign to be given.

~ Sandra Day O'Conner

God Bless~ Christine


Julie said...

All he needs is some chili and cheese!!!

I am so happy for the good report :)

Brandy said...

we totally have that tray! Learning Express?

Love that the beast is retreating...keep on going, mister beast...keep on going.

Jake has some great taste in lunch ideas, I must say!