J a k e

J a k e
at the beach in Destin

Jake's story

July 21st was a normal day, as were the days of summer before. Everything was in it's place. School days were approaching and the family was enjoying the last days by the pool, ignored bedtimes and high popsicle counts.

Then July 22, 2008 came....

Jake had his first seizure. I did not recognize it as such. It was not until he had several more of these "little jerks" and bloody noses that I thought this could be seizure activity. We were scheduled to see a neurologist on August 4th, after going through our pediatrician, however we didn't make it that far. I was awakened August 1st, by Jake in a full seizure (6 minutes long)...he started to turn blue so I called 911....

Here begins our journey......

...we were taken by ambulance to the hospital. Checked in. Released. 3 more grand mal seizures after being released. Checked back in. Sent home 3 days later. Another grand mal, this one lasting a whopping 11 minutes and taken by ambulance again. Stayed at Childrens Dallas for a week. Upping meds, changing meds and mixing meds.
Diagnosis: Epilepsy
Cause: Unknown
We have now found, through some absolutely amazing family and extended family, whom I will NEVER be able to thank enough, the wonderful doctors and nurses at Cook Childrens Hospital in Fort Worth, who are continuing to help us through this. We have had another grand last thursday, and are averaging anywhere from 5-30 seizures (jerks, drops, stares) a day. I was to begin back teaching at Apollo, but am having to put that on hold until the seizures are controlled. Jake is not able to go back to school until he is 30 days seizure free. We are still waiting for that ONE day. Please pray for our family and for little Jake. Although this is not the end of the world, it is a huge hurdle we WILL overcome. Pray for courage for Jake, understanding as parents, good doctors and for the right medicines.

Jake's mom, Christine


Sunday, August 23, 2009

summers over?

Tomorrow starts the first day of school for my babies. The first day of kindergarten for our dear Addison Mary, and the first day of full day preschool for little Jake, since the seizures started.

We had tons of fun this summer. We went to the Dallas museum of Science and natural history, soccer camp, swam many a day, hit the library, visited spray parks, and went on many walks including picnics. The following are just some of the examples we had an awesome summer!

We had so much fun! I will definitely miss my sweet angels. I would probably rather stay at home with them all year, HOWEVER, being able to go back to work this year, knowing where we were at last year is an amazing blessing! I pray that we can keep up this "awesome run" that we have had!

I am blessed and thankful for each day!

"Some people are always grumbling that roses have thorns; I am thankful that thorns have roses!"

God Bless~ Christine

No comments: