J a k e

J a k e
at the beach in Destin

Jake's story

July 21st was a normal day, as were the days of summer before. Everything was in it's place. School days were approaching and the family was enjoying the last days by the pool, ignored bedtimes and high popsicle counts.

Then July 22, 2008 came....

Jake had his first seizure. I did not recognize it as such. It was not until he had several more of these "little jerks" and bloody noses that I thought this could be seizure activity. We were scheduled to see a neurologist on August 4th, after going through our pediatrician, however we didn't make it that far. I was awakened August 1st, by Jake in a full seizure (6 minutes long)...he started to turn blue so I called 911....

Here begins our journey......

...we were taken by ambulance to the hospital. Checked in. Released. 3 more grand mal seizures after being released. Checked back in. Sent home 3 days later. Another grand mal, this one lasting a whopping 11 minutes and taken by ambulance again. Stayed at Childrens Dallas for a week. Upping meds, changing meds and mixing meds.
Diagnosis: Epilepsy
Cause: Unknown
We have now found, through some absolutely amazing family and extended family, whom I will NEVER be able to thank enough, the wonderful doctors and nurses at Cook Childrens Hospital in Fort Worth, who are continuing to help us through this. We have had another grand last thursday, and are averaging anywhere from 5-30 seizures (jerks, drops, stares) a day. I was to begin back teaching at Apollo, but am having to put that on hold until the seizures are controlled. Jake is not able to go back to school until he is 30 days seizure free. We are still waiting for that ONE day. Please pray for our family and for little Jake. Although this is not the end of the world, it is a huge hurdle we WILL overcome. Pray for courage for Jake, understanding as parents, good doctors and for the right medicines.

Jake's mom, Christine


Saturday, August 1, 2009

Poopoo on the potty party- July 31, 2008

Jake did it! He finally poo-pooed on the potty!
He had been going peepee on the potty for a while now, but poo poo was a little harder to master after one unfortunate incident not to be named at this moment.

Well, he finally did it and was consistently "doing it" for several days, so even though Matt was out of town, we had a party for him, at his favorite spot, Joe's Crab Shack.

His 4 cousins, his aunt Lisa, Addison, and I all met for dinner, or rather in the kids eyes, an awesome play date at a cool park covered in sand.

Towards the end of the adventure Jake fell face first onto the concrete deck. This caused a huge black and blue swelling in the middle of his forehead, little did I know it would be the first of many.

At this point, we decided to take the kids back to our house for some swimming and dessert.

We had an awesome time and were surely appreciating the days of summer, swimming, sugar, friends and family.

We danced to Mama Mia most of the night!

Finally when it was too far past the kids bedtimes, we said one more song and we all jammed out to Dancing Queen, before we headed off to bed.

Jake came to bed with me and Chad, Addison and Jake's cousin, went to sleep with Addi in her new trundle bed.

It was an awesome memory! Lisa and I spoke of it that night...how cool this was for the kids to experience such closeness and such fun with their family!
I don't care how poor a man is; if he has family he is rich.

God Bless~ Christine

No comments: