J a k e

J a k e
at the beach in Destin

Jake's story

July 21st was a normal day, as were the days of summer before. Everything was in it's place. School days were approaching and the family was enjoying the last days by the pool, ignored bedtimes and high popsicle counts.

Then July 22, 2008 came....

Jake had his first seizure. I did not recognize it as such. It was not until he had several more of these "little jerks" and bloody noses that I thought this could be seizure activity. We were scheduled to see a neurologist on August 4th, after going through our pediatrician, however we didn't make it that far. I was awakened August 1st, by Jake in a full seizure (6 minutes long)...he started to turn blue so I called 911....

Here begins our journey......

...we were taken by ambulance to the hospital. Checked in. Released. 3 more grand mal seizures after being released. Checked back in. Sent home 3 days later. Another grand mal, this one lasting a whopping 11 minutes and taken by ambulance again. Stayed at Childrens Dallas for a week. Upping meds, changing meds and mixing meds.
Diagnosis: Epilepsy
Cause: Unknown
We have now found, through some absolutely amazing family and extended family, whom I will NEVER be able to thank enough, the wonderful doctors and nurses at Cook Childrens Hospital in Fort Worth, who are continuing to help us through this. We have had another grand last thursday, and are averaging anywhere from 5-30 seizures (jerks, drops, stares) a day. I was to begin back teaching at Apollo, but am having to put that on hold until the seizures are controlled. Jake is not able to go back to school until he is 30 days seizure free. We are still waiting for that ONE day. Please pray for our family and for little Jake. Although this is not the end of the world, it is a huge hurdle we WILL overcome. Pray for courage for Jake, understanding as parents, good doctors and for the right medicines.

Jake's mom, Christine


Sunday, January 3, 2010

Catch up!

It has been a long time since I have posted and you have missed out on some great events we have been involved in during this Christmas Season.
This is going to be a picture post of our many outings( changed my mind last minute...one outing at a time), so I won't feel so far behind.

Make a Wish gingerbread house making

The weekend before Christmas Make a Wish invited Jake to attend a gingerbread house making event. I never now what exactly to expect when fun things like this come up, but when it comes to MAW, I certainly, almost always underestimate the level of fun, planning and dedication that will be given to these kiddos.

The kids were given chef aprons, breakfast, gingerbread houses, and special appearences were made by some very special figures here in the Dallas area.

Rowdy, the Dallas Cowboy's mascot, calling Tony Romo, Jake's hero!

Addison was made to feel not like "the sister of a wish boy," but rather as an immediate part of the group. We had a great time! It was certainly a great way to get the Holiday season underway!

Jake loved looking at the lobsters maybe even more than he loves to eat them

I think the kids could have possibly eaten more candy than actually went on their masterpieces.

The final products!

They were so proud and had a great time! I am definitely going to make gingerbread house making a tradition in our house for Christmas time. We rae so blessed to have been surrounded by amazing people willing to give up their time for our special kids. Thank you Make a Wish! Thanks for everything.

Make a wish, have a ball, dream a dream, be it all... If you want it, you can get it, But to get it, you've got to want it. Anything you want to try, Just let go, fly high... and Make a Wish.
Tom Chapin

No comments: