J a k e

J a k e
at the beach in Destin

Jake's story

July 21st was a normal day, as were the days of summer before. Everything was in it's place. School days were approaching and the family was enjoying the last days by the pool, ignored bedtimes and high popsicle counts.

Then July 22, 2008 came....

Jake had his first seizure. I did not recognize it as such. It was not until he had several more of these "little jerks" and bloody noses that I thought this could be seizure activity. We were scheduled to see a neurologist on August 4th, after going through our pediatrician, however we didn't make it that far. I was awakened August 1st, by Jake in a full seizure (6 minutes long)...he started to turn blue so I called 911....

Here begins our journey......

...we were taken by ambulance to the hospital. Checked in. Released. 3 more grand mal seizures after being released. Checked back in. Sent home 3 days later. Another grand mal, this one lasting a whopping 11 minutes and taken by ambulance again. Stayed at Childrens Dallas for a week. Upping meds, changing meds and mixing meds.
Diagnosis: Epilepsy
Cause: Unknown
We have now found, through some absolutely amazing family and extended family, whom I will NEVER be able to thank enough, the wonderful doctors and nurses at Cook Childrens Hospital in Fort Worth, who are continuing to help us through this. We have had another grand last thursday, and are averaging anywhere from 5-30 seizures (jerks, drops, stares) a day. I was to begin back teaching at Apollo, but am having to put that on hold until the seizures are controlled. Jake is not able to go back to school until he is 30 days seizure free. We are still waiting for that ONE day. Please pray for our family and for little Jake. Although this is not the end of the world, it is a huge hurdle we WILL overcome. Pray for courage for Jake, understanding as parents, good doctors and for the right medicines.

Jake's mom, Christine


Thursday, January 28, 2010


The kids have something to tell you!

Jake and Addison are going to have a baby brother!
They are beside themselves, to say the least! They read to him every night, have named him, and are constantly touching and kissing the sweet boy.

I have been waiting for the "right" moment to announce this surprise and figured today is as good of time as any.

Yesterday we had our 20 week sonogram. It is always such fun seeing the miracle inside of you grow, wiggle, and develop.

the good news:
The baby looks great. he was a very active little one, putting on quite the show for us on the monitor. It is truly amazing and breathtaking how little he can be inside my belly and how much you can actually see from a simply sonogram...just astonishing.

I went into the appointment thinking I was 19 weeks and a couple days. However, after a very long and intense sonogram, it looks like I am 21 weeks and a couple days. So, little man should be expected to make his arrival in early June!

The bad news:
I thought the sonogram tech was simply trying to give me tons of pics of the little guy, therefore having the sonogram last about a hour. However, I soon realized that something may be wrong.

Apparently my umbilical cord only has one vein and one artery, a condition sometimes called SUA. A healthy umbilical cord should have a vein, supplying the baby with the food, nutrients and oxygen he needs, and 2 arteries taking the junk out from the placenta that the baby doesn't need. I only have one "junk drain." This can cause many problems and birth defects with the baby. Although, this is a VERY scary diagnosis, especially if you are stupid enough, like me to google it, I am optimistic that "Miracle , Oops baby" will be just perfect!

The course of action right now, is simply for more frequent trips to the doctor to measure the baby and take some pictures.

Please say a prayer for Baby Peters! We are so blessed to be given another chance to be parents!

Jake news:
Jakey boy went through an awesome seizure free patch about 2 weeks ago. He had no nocturnal tc's we caught, and besides some battered and bruised limbs, the boy has been great.

Then...we went to the doctor last week and bragged about his period without seizures. Call it a Jinx, but now he is having 3-5 tc's a night.
I called today just to inform the dr. that from my last status report things have changed. i expected nothing to happen form it, but just for it to be journaled.

I recently heard from the nurse and she said Dr. H was taken back by this news and 3-5 was DEFINITELY too many to be having every night.

Therefore, I am to tweak some medicine. If the tweaking does not bring positive results, we are back at Cook Children's for another round of steroids and oral steroids once we are released.

Seriously, does this roller coaster ever slow down? because I want to get off!:-)

Please say a prayer for Jakerdoodle as well.

A dear friend and coworker sent me a couple verses today. Although I have read and heard this one many times, it really stood out to me on this day.

11 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Jeremiah 29:11-13 (New International Version)

(picture to be added later today)


karen zuege said...

we also had the whole 2 vessel thing with my 2nd born and they did all there tests during my whole preganacy growth checks etc and he turned out just fine no problems at all but it made me nervous the whole preganacy

Jodi said...

CONGRATS! So Excited and will be praying for little Peter!

When Wyatt was 24 weeks I have several sonograms, they told me he had TOO much fluid in his brain and it was not draining correctly. They told me ALL the bad things and freaked me out. Lots of prayers and right before birth the fluid was completley gone. God does amazing things!!!! :)