J a k e

J a k e
at the beach in Destin

Jake's story

July 21st was a normal day, as were the days of summer before. Everything was in it's place. School days were approaching and the family was enjoying the last days by the pool, ignored bedtimes and high popsicle counts.

Then July 22, 2008 came....

Jake had his first seizure. I did not recognize it as such. It was not until he had several more of these "little jerks" and bloody noses that I thought this could be seizure activity. We were scheduled to see a neurologist on August 4th, after going through our pediatrician, however we didn't make it that far. I was awakened August 1st, by Jake in a full seizure (6 minutes long)...he started to turn blue so I called 911....

Here begins our journey......

...we were taken by ambulance to the hospital. Checked in. Released. 3 more grand mal seizures after being released. Checked back in. Sent home 3 days later. Another grand mal, this one lasting a whopping 11 minutes and taken by ambulance again. Stayed at Childrens Dallas for a week. Upping meds, changing meds and mixing meds.
Diagnosis: Epilepsy
Cause: Unknown
We have now found, through some absolutely amazing family and extended family, whom I will NEVER be able to thank enough, the wonderful doctors and nurses at Cook Childrens Hospital in Fort Worth, who are continuing to help us through this. We have had another grand last thursday, and are averaging anywhere from 5-30 seizures (jerks, drops, stares) a day. I was to begin back teaching at Apollo, but am having to put that on hold until the seizures are controlled. Jake is not able to go back to school until he is 30 days seizure free. We are still waiting for that ONE day. Please pray for our family and for little Jake. Although this is not the end of the world, it is a huge hurdle we WILL overcome. Pray for courage for Jake, understanding as parents, good doctors and for the right medicines.

Jake's mom, Christine


Thursday, January 21, 2010


I seriously need to get better about popping in and blogging. I am getting so far behind updating on the craziness that is , "The Peters household."

This weekend was certainly no exception to the crazy rule!

Matt was out of town fishing, so I enlisted some help from Babi and Papa in shuttling the twerps to and from their many activities. The kids and I grocery shopped and ran errands.

On our last errand of the day, Addi and I were unpacking goods from the kitchen, waiting for Jake to come in from the garage, as he is always the last one in, because he finds it necessary to explore the garage for hidden treasures EVERYTIME we park. It is even more fun to him now, as Matt has done an excellent job reorganizing, the pit, we call a garage.

It had been a couple minutes so Addi and I start to holler for Jake to come in. We finally hear him, and then the door slam, and then an "ouch!"

I advise the booger bear to come to me in the kitchen so I can kiss his boo-boo. he doesn't come. I then, more harshly tell Jake to come here, as it is pretty quiet now. He then yells to me..."Someone open the door!"

I am dumbfounded, as he knows exactly how to open the door and he is inside now, where he is supposed to be.

after a few seconds, i go to help him.
There he is, looking up at me with a worried look and says "puh-lease, open the door."

I look again, and his hand is completely shut in the door on the hinge side.
We open the door and get his hand out, and thankfully all parts are still attached! PHEW!

However, I couldn't get the tip of his fingers to get circulation....so I wait, and wait for the tiny tips to get pink again.

After much chaos, and many phone calls, Jake and I head off to the er once again because circulation is not coming back
The hand , after being xrayed, was not broken and circulation was now fine. He did however have a nail that was about to fall off, and most likely a sprain. So we are sent home with a hefty little splint and a smile.

the following day Jake had his first bowling birthday party. I urge hm to bowl with his left hand , as his right is still in a splint. Not 30 minutes into the party it happens...he hurt another finger on the other hand.

I refuse to run to any Dr. after the previous nights expeditions, so I kiss it and assure him it will be fine.

As the hours and days go by the newly injured bowling hand, gets more and more swollen, and more and more purple.

I tell myself that I will ask Dr. H about it at his routine neuro appt.on Tuesday.

The neuro appt. was great! I felt as if it was a very positive one.
When I finish rattling off a trillion questions, I nonchalantly ask Dr. H, if he thinks Jake needs an xray or if he feels it is just a sprain. He plays it safe , of course, and sends us upstairs for an xray. About ten minutes later, I was told that we need to head back down to orthopedics, as it did look like he broke his hand/finger!

so we returned downstairs to orthopedics and it is confirmed that Jake has a fracture and needs another "cast" on his other hand!

Needless to say, Jake LOVED the attention and is very proud of his "new hands!"

Tuesday was a very busy day for us, but the "one stop shopping" while at Cooks was great. Like always we were treated fantastically and I can only imagine how much worse all the dr.s and waiting could have been.

Here is a pic of the little trooper. Unfortunately I only have a fuzzy one from my phone right now.

I am soooo very thankful for everyone that helped us this weekend in the ongoing drama, that is Jake's life and to the many nurses and dr.s that helped us at Cook's. I also praise the Lord that Jake's injuries were as minor as they were. Although, he will be out of gymnastics for a couple weeks, I think he will be just fine!:-)

I can't help but look at the past couple days and how things transpired and not laugh. I grin, chuckle and sometimes even belly laugh thinking about it. Seriously?! who does this kind of stuff actually happen to?

He is so Brave! I am soo proud of him!
And Joshua said unto them, Fear not, nor be dismayed, be strong and of good courage: for thus shall the Lord do to all your enemies against whom ye fight.

Joshua 10:25


Lisa said...

Oh my goodness!! Both hands! What are the chances?!

Happy healing Jake!

Jodi said...

He is so stinking cute! I cannot believe he got BOTH hands. What are the odds? ;) Hope he heals quickly!