J a k e

J a k e
at the beach in Destin

Jake's story

July 21st was a normal day, as were the days of summer before. Everything was in it's place. School days were approaching and the family was enjoying the last days by the pool, ignored bedtimes and high popsicle counts.

Then July 22, 2008 came....

Jake had his first seizure. I did not recognize it as such. It was not until he had several more of these "little jerks" and bloody noses that I thought this could be seizure activity. We were scheduled to see a neurologist on August 4th, after going through our pediatrician, however we didn't make it that far. I was awakened August 1st, by Jake in a full seizure (6 minutes long)...he started to turn blue so I called 911....

Here begins our journey......

...we were taken by ambulance to the hospital. Checked in. Released. 3 more grand mal seizures after being released. Checked back in. Sent home 3 days later. Another grand mal, this one lasting a whopping 11 minutes and taken by ambulance again. Stayed at Childrens Dallas for a week. Upping meds, changing meds and mixing meds.
Diagnosis: Epilepsy
Cause: Unknown
We have now found, through some absolutely amazing family and extended family, whom I will NEVER be able to thank enough, the wonderful doctors and nurses at Cook Childrens Hospital in Fort Worth, who are continuing to help us through this. We have had another grand last thursday, and are averaging anywhere from 5-30 seizures (jerks, drops, stares) a day. I was to begin back teaching at Apollo, but am having to put that on hold until the seizures are controlled. Jake is not able to go back to school until he is 30 days seizure free. We are still waiting for that ONE day. Please pray for our family and for little Jake. Although this is not the end of the world, it is a huge hurdle we WILL overcome. Pray for courage for Jake, understanding as parents, good doctors and for the right medicines.

Jake's mom, Christine


Monday, January 11, 2010

sleeping is more dangerous than it sounds

Last night I had just fallen asleep, after hours of tossing and turning, and heard a humongous THUD!!

I have heard it before, so I hesitated, braced myself and then made my way to the side of the bed where the obnoxious noise rose from.

I see Jake's pretty, little, now bloody, head, wedged in between the nightstand and our bed.

His face was already a bloody mess, but I was worried about his head. After much searching, and thorough checking the head had no wounds! I now was able to work on the source of the blood.

It seems , as Jake tumbled off the bed, not only did his teeth make it almost all the way through his lip, but on the way down, I am assuming the nightstand, tore away his top layer of skin from the bottom lip.

It was a very nasty sight, BUT was not caused by a seizure. I have said it before and will say it again, Blood is sooo much easier to handle when it is not stemmed from a seizure!

The boy looks like he has been in the ring with Tyson!

Much to my surprise, because of the salt, the kid was still able to eat almost an entire jar of pickles for dinner, hence the pickle seed on the bridge of his nose.

No comments: