J a k e

J a k e
at the beach in Destin

Jake's story

July 21st was a normal day, as were the days of summer before. Everything was in it's place. School days were approaching and the family was enjoying the last days by the pool, ignored bedtimes and high popsicle counts.

Then July 22, 2008 came....

Jake had his first seizure. I did not recognize it as such. It was not until he had several more of these "little jerks" and bloody noses that I thought this could be seizure activity. We were scheduled to see a neurologist on August 4th, after going through our pediatrician, however we didn't make it that far. I was awakened August 1st, by Jake in a full seizure (6 minutes long)...he started to turn blue so I called 911....

Here begins our journey......

...we were taken by ambulance to the hospital. Checked in. Released. 3 more grand mal seizures after being released. Checked back in. Sent home 3 days later. Another grand mal, this one lasting a whopping 11 minutes and taken by ambulance again. Stayed at Childrens Dallas for a week. Upping meds, changing meds and mixing meds.
Diagnosis: Epilepsy
Cause: Unknown
We have now found, through some absolutely amazing family and extended family, whom I will NEVER be able to thank enough, the wonderful doctors and nurses at Cook Childrens Hospital in Fort Worth, who are continuing to help us through this. We have had another grand last thursday, and are averaging anywhere from 5-30 seizures (jerks, drops, stares) a day. I was to begin back teaching at Apollo, but am having to put that on hold until the seizures are controlled. Jake is not able to go back to school until he is 30 days seizure free. We are still waiting for that ONE day. Please pray for our family and for little Jake. Although this is not the end of the world, it is a huge hurdle we WILL overcome. Pray for courage for Jake, understanding as parents, good doctors and for the right medicines.

Jake's mom, Christine


Monday, January 25, 2010

Help for Haiti

We had a very fun and busy weekend. I skipped almost all of the much needed work that needed to get done around the house to hang with the kids, run errands, and go to parties. On Sunday, before Addison was to attend another party, the kids had a lemonade stand.

This wasn't any regular lemonade stand. All the funds raised are going to a Haiti relief fund.

The kids have been watching the news and, of course, the coverage from Haiti is all they have been seeing. They also caught glimpses of the huge telethon on Friday. When little minds see things like this, it is obviously very difficult for them to comprehend the magnitude of the disaster that is actually taking place.

After, what seemed like hundreds of questions about the earthquake and the effects it had on the country and its people, they, or Addison finally seemed to get it.

She explained to me what the children over there don't have, including a St. Jude!:-)
She was beside herself and wanted to help.

Not knowing how, I was reminded of a High school who posted on Face book that her kids had a lemonade stand to raise money for Haiti and to help her kids understand the magnitude of devastation.

Therefore, this is what Addison and Jake decided to do as well. Within less than 2 hours of "work" they raised 60$! I was so proud of them! They explained to all the customers where the money was going and why they felt they had to give. I have to admit watching them work so hard to to explain and sell their product certainly brought a tear, or several, to my eyes! If I said a tear, I would be lying, as it can only be described by that big lump you get in your throat caused by such pride for your little ones, and emotion because of their actions.

To learn more about what you and your children can do together to help others around the world please visit:


"You must love and help your neighbors just as much as you love and take care of yourself." (James 2:8)