J a k e

J a k e
at the beach in Destin

Jake's story

July 21st was a normal day, as were the days of summer before. Everything was in it's place. School days were approaching and the family was enjoying the last days by the pool, ignored bedtimes and high popsicle counts.

Then July 22, 2008 came....

Jake had his first seizure. I did not recognize it as such. It was not until he had several more of these "little jerks" and bloody noses that I thought this could be seizure activity. We were scheduled to see a neurologist on August 4th, after going through our pediatrician, however we didn't make it that far. I was awakened August 1st, by Jake in a full seizure (6 minutes long)...he started to turn blue so I called 911....

Here begins our journey......

...we were taken by ambulance to the hospital. Checked in. Released. 3 more grand mal seizures after being released. Checked back in. Sent home 3 days later. Another grand mal, this one lasting a whopping 11 minutes and taken by ambulance again. Stayed at Childrens Dallas for a week. Upping meds, changing meds and mixing meds.
Diagnosis: Epilepsy
Cause: Unknown
We have now found, through some absolutely amazing family and extended family, whom I will NEVER be able to thank enough, the wonderful doctors and nurses at Cook Childrens Hospital in Fort Worth, who are continuing to help us through this. We have had another grand last thursday, and are averaging anywhere from 5-30 seizures (jerks, drops, stares) a day. I was to begin back teaching at Apollo, but am having to put that on hold until the seizures are controlled. Jake is not able to go back to school until he is 30 days seizure free. We are still waiting for that ONE day. Please pray for our family and for little Jake. Although this is not the end of the world, it is a huge hurdle we WILL overcome. Pray for courage for Jake, understanding as parents, good doctors and for the right medicines.

Jake's mom, Christine


*********************************************************

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Race for wishes

ON Saturday we got up bright and early for some family fun running!
We participated in our first 5k as a family, the Make a Wish Race for Wishes.

It was a blast!

Jake was so excited he even got up and dressed himself.

Posted by Picasa
Being almost 8 months pregnant, Matt never having run a race, 2 small kids and a grandpa, we were very unsure how long we would last on this cool, windy morning. We even threw around the idea of ditching the 3.2 miles and runnig the 1 mile Fun Run instead.

However, the momentum and energy of the event got the best of us and we all finished the 5K!

Before the race Jake got to meet up and superhug one of his wish givers Christine!
Posted by Picasa

Addison did a super job and ran the entire time, except when she had to stop and walk to wait on her pacers, Matt and Papa.


She can't wait to run another race.

Jake and I alternated running and walking. He did a great job and I was so very proud of him. As he approached the finish line his adrenaline got pumping, he picked up his speed, and he was grinning from ear to ear.

The crowd energetically cheered for the "little wish kid wearing the green shirt." Jake followed, and also cheered for himself. This kid never stops smiling, but I don't know if I have EVER seen him be so proud of himself.

As I parent, as I watched him cheer, run and smile across that finish line, the past year flashed in front of me.

Was this the same kid that a year ago, almost to the day, couldn't even hold his head up, much less walk?

Last year at this time, we spoon fed him all his meals in a highchair or on the floor surrounded by pillows.

Last year at this time, he would go through a couple shirts a day, as they were quickly soaked from his excessive drooling.

Was this the same child, who had sat in the ER far too many times in 9 months, waiting to be sewn back together?

Was this really my son running toward me, who was basically in a drug and seizure induced coma for 9 months of his life....just a year ago?

All these thoughts swirled inside my head in the brief moment as I saw the complete elation in his little face as he crossed the finish with a cheering crowd backing his every step.

That moment, with my daughter as happy as a lark from completeing one of her first milestones, my husband and family by my side, and my little hero dashing toward me, I am quite sure I have never been so thankful, nor proud to be a mommy in my life!
 My kids are fighters!
 They sure as heck can conquer any darned obstacle thrown at them.

Posted by Picasa



The Make a Wish Foundation is so much more than I ever thought it was! For them we are Thankful! They truly make wishes and dreams come true!


Let us rise up and be thankful,
for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little,
and if we didn't learn a little,
at least we didn't get sick,
and if we got sick, at least we didn't die;
so, let us all be thankful.
- The Buddha

No comments: