J a k e

J a k e
at the beach in Destin

Jake's story

July 21st was a normal day, as were the days of summer before. Everything was in it's place. School days were approaching and the family was enjoying the last days by the pool, ignored bedtimes and high popsicle counts.

Then July 22, 2008 came....

Jake had his first seizure. I did not recognize it as such. It was not until he had several more of these "little jerks" and bloody noses that I thought this could be seizure activity. We were scheduled to see a neurologist on August 4th, after going through our pediatrician, however we didn't make it that far. I was awakened August 1st, by Jake in a full seizure (6 minutes long)...he started to turn blue so I called 911....

Here begins our journey......

...we were taken by ambulance to the hospital. Checked in. Released. 3 more grand mal seizures after being released. Checked back in. Sent home 3 days later. Another grand mal, this one lasting a whopping 11 minutes and taken by ambulance again. Stayed at Childrens Dallas for a week. Upping meds, changing meds and mixing meds.
Diagnosis: Epilepsy
Cause: Unknown
We have now found, through some absolutely amazing family and extended family, whom I will NEVER be able to thank enough, the wonderful doctors and nurses at Cook Childrens Hospital in Fort Worth, who are continuing to help us through this. We have had another grand last thursday, and are averaging anywhere from 5-30 seizures (jerks, drops, stares) a day. I was to begin back teaching at Apollo, but am having to put that on hold until the seizures are controlled. Jake is not able to go back to school until he is 30 days seizure free. We are still waiting for that ONE day. Please pray for our family and for little Jake. Although this is not the end of the world, it is a huge hurdle we WILL overcome. Pray for courage for Jake, understanding as parents, good doctors and for the right medicines.

Jake's mom, Christine


Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The white stuff

Only in Texas! This is what our second day of Spring looked like. I could barely believe my eyes, as I peered out the window this past Sunday morning. Of course , I heard the forecast of snow, but never imagined the magnitude we would be impacted.

Posted by Picasa

Addison thought it was great. The minute her feet hit the floor out of bed, she was already grabbing coats, scarves, mittens and hats! The rest of us were not so excited. The warm coffee, while wrapped in a cozy blanket on the couch, reading the Sunday paper was far more inviting, than the cold, wet snow.

Jake tried to brave the blustery wind and wet for a little bit, but much rather preferred to observe the action from indoors....smart kid!;-)

and to think just a few days prior, we spent our days of Spring Break riding bikes, taking walks, having picnics, and playing at the Dallas Arboretum.

You have to love Texas weather!

Posted by Picasa




Posted by Picasa

Posted by Picasa

We had a BLAST at the arboretum this year...as always! But for the first time, we were able to get the twerps faces painted. usually, the line is literaly a wait of a hour or more. However, for some reason this year, we were one of the first families to snag a spot. They were so proud of their new creations. It was so much fun.

In Jake news....he has been improving or rather, we have had some improvement, after the steroid treatment. However, unfortunately, he still is fighting off nightly nocturnal tc's. They are much shorter, than even noted on video a couple posts ago, but they are still present.

Damn Beast!

For the LORD your God is the one who goes with you to fight for you against your enemies to give you victory."
Deuteronomy 20:3-5

No comments: