J a k e

J a k e
at the beach in Destin

Jake's story

July 21st was a normal day, as were the days of summer before. Everything was in it's place. School days were approaching and the family was enjoying the last days by the pool, ignored bedtimes and high popsicle counts.

Then July 22, 2008 came....

Jake had his first seizure. I did not recognize it as such. It was not until he had several more of these "little jerks" and bloody noses that I thought this could be seizure activity. We were scheduled to see a neurologist on August 4th, after going through our pediatrician, however we didn't make it that far. I was awakened August 1st, by Jake in a full seizure (6 minutes long)...he started to turn blue so I called 911....

Here begins our journey......

...we were taken by ambulance to the hospital. Checked in. Released. 3 more grand mal seizures after being released. Checked back in. Sent home 3 days later. Another grand mal, this one lasting a whopping 11 minutes and taken by ambulance again. Stayed at Childrens Dallas for a week. Upping meds, changing meds and mixing meds.
Diagnosis: Epilepsy
Cause: Unknown
We have now found, through some absolutely amazing family and extended family, whom I will NEVER be able to thank enough, the wonderful doctors and nurses at Cook Childrens Hospital in Fort Worth, who are continuing to help us through this. We have had another grand last thursday, and are averaging anywhere from 5-30 seizures (jerks, drops, stares) a day. I was to begin back teaching at Apollo, but am having to put that on hold until the seizures are controlled. Jake is not able to go back to school until he is 30 days seizure free. We are still waiting for that ONE day. Please pray for our family and for little Jake. Although this is not the end of the world, it is a huge hurdle we WILL overcome. Pray for courage for Jake, understanding as parents, good doctors and for the right medicines.

Jake's mom, Christine


Saturday, July 25, 2009

board games

A year ago yesterday, I noticed Jake's second seizure.

Matt was out of town. The kids and I spent a full day swimming, so we decided to have a nice relaxing evening playing some board games and watching movies.

Addison and I were on the floor, when Jake got up to do a "happy dance," or something of that sort for making a winning move in the game.

As he stood up he almost immediately fell tummy down on the board game, flopped for a brief second and then was up.

Again, my first reaction was to get angry with him for ruining our game setup.

I , again, started to interrogate Jake about his actions....

That's when i saw "it."

That look in his eyes.
He had no clue what had just happened and he was just as confused and dumbfounded as me.

This time, however, I did find it strange enough to call my mom and see what her thoughts were.

Since Matt was coming home the next day I didn't call him, but just decided to watch Jake and monitor him for anymore strange events.

A year ago today....

Jake had his first bloody lip from the BEAST.

He was sitting at the kitchen table eating a happy meal from "Uncle Donalds."

I was right next to him, probably swiping some fries, when it happened.

In a quick instant his head jerked straight forward into the table.

When he looked at me with accusing eyes, as if I had slammed his tiny face into the furniture, his poor little nose and lips were covered in blood.

This was the first of many bloody events caused by this damn beast. If I only knew then would would transpire over the next year.

For a righteous man falls seven times, and rises again. [Proverbs 24:16].

God bless~ Christine

No comments: