J a k e

J a k e
at the beach in Destin

Jake's story

July 21st was a normal day, as were the days of summer before. Everything was in it's place. School days were approaching and the family was enjoying the last days by the pool, ignored bedtimes and high popsicle counts.

Then July 22, 2008 came....

Jake had his first seizure. I did not recognize it as such. It was not until he had several more of these "little jerks" and bloody noses that I thought this could be seizure activity. We were scheduled to see a neurologist on August 4th, after going through our pediatrician, however we didn't make it that far. I was awakened August 1st, by Jake in a full seizure (6 minutes long)...he started to turn blue so I called 911....

Here begins our journey......

...we were taken by ambulance to the hospital. Checked in. Released. 3 more grand mal seizures after being released. Checked back in. Sent home 3 days later. Another grand mal, this one lasting a whopping 11 minutes and taken by ambulance again. Stayed at Childrens Dallas for a week. Upping meds, changing meds and mixing meds.
Diagnosis: Epilepsy
Cause: Unknown
We have now found, through some absolutely amazing family and extended family, whom I will NEVER be able to thank enough, the wonderful doctors and nurses at Cook Childrens Hospital in Fort Worth, who are continuing to help us through this. We have had another grand last thursday, and are averaging anywhere from 5-30 seizures (jerks, drops, stares) a day. I was to begin back teaching at Apollo, but am having to put that on hold until the seizures are controlled. Jake is not able to go back to school until he is 30 days seizure free. We are still waiting for that ONE day. Please pray for our family and for little Jake. Although this is not the end of the world, it is a huge hurdle we WILL overcome. Pray for courage for Jake, understanding as parents, good doctors and for the right medicines.

Jake's mom, Christine


Thursday, July 2, 2009


I am awful and have the best intentions to blog our life happenings more often. I certainly thought summer was going to give me more time, apparently that proves very wrong.

We recently went on a short trip to Hot Springs, Arkansas. It was fantastic. It was busy. It was non-stop. And it was too short. It was GREAT times!

My good friend and her dear husband asked us to join them for a Lake weekend at Lake Hamilton. It is such a gorgeous place. We had NO idea a lake could be such a beautiful community.

This weekend was truly therapy. Joanna and Morgan were the most awesome host and hostess. There was never a dull moment. My checks and stomach truly hurt still from all the laughter that was had during this weekend.

We swam, we skied, we talked, we cried, we laughed and we RELAXED. I tell you, therapy.

Jake and Addison loved going tubing. They begged Morgan to take them again and again and he so graciously obliged. The kids even went water skiing!

Yes, our 5 year old and 4 year old went water skiing!!

Addison went the first day and got up like a champ. However, her mother, holding the other end of the rope, panicked and let go before she could have a good ride.

Joanna, had the honors of holding the rope for Jake. The stud got up and went almost 200 yards on his first try!!

The kiddos got to drive a boat.

and definitely wore themselves out!

Although the weekend was outstanding, there were also setbacks. Some I can not mention, but continue to pray about. Others for Jake.

Jake did have several tc's this weekend. It is hard to tell why, as he did get regular sleep and we did make sure he was in a cozy bed for all his naps. It was hard, sad, and discouraging. However, seeing that little boy, who a couple months ago could not hold his head up, walk a straight line, talk without slurring his speech, water ski...was nothing less than amazing!! he even had an audience on the lake watching jr. attack the wake!

Our kids rock and give us motivation to conquer each day.

We are sooo grateful and thankful for this weekend. Words can never explain to Joanna and Morgan what it meant to us. This was truly our wish come true.

Monday morning, recovering from the fully eventful, non-stop weekend, my cell phone rang pretty early. This is strange, as everyone knows I love my peaceful coffee time in the morn, while the kids either sleep or watch cartoons.

Hesitantly, I answer the call. The voice on the other end informed me that they were from the "Make a Wish" foundation.

Jake is going to be granted a wish!

I swear the Lake Hamilton weekend, to us, was a dream or wish come true, and to hear the words coming on the other end of the receiver that Jake was to be granted a wish were truly outstanding.

It is ridiculous, embarrassing, and amazing that this call even came to us.

Who in their life, would ever think their kid would ever qualify for make a Wish, much less be granted a wish.

Nothing ever happens "to you." That's what I have always thought. It's always "someone else" or a friend of a friend. I honestly still can't believe I write a blog about my son. It's not supposed to happen to "you."

We are better people for what we were given. It is not easy. However, we see the joy in the little things, that we used to not even merely see.

Thank you Butler's for an amazing weekend.

Thank you Make a wish for making Jake's dreams come true!

God is amazing!

rooted and built up in him, strengthened in faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness.

Colossians 2:7

God Bless~ Christine


Brandy said...

dang. that is fantastic and amazing and wonderful and more than deserving to Jake and the entire family! incredible!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the wish! So excited for you all and Jake. Keep us posted on what the wish will be. You all are an inspiration. Amazing, by the way- waterskiing!!!!
Shauna Wilson