J a k e

J a k e
at the beach in Destin

Jake's story

July 21st was a normal day, as were the days of summer before. Everything was in it's place. School days were approaching and the family was enjoying the last days by the pool, ignored bedtimes and high popsicle counts.

Then July 22, 2008 came....

Jake had his first seizure. I did not recognize it as such. It was not until he had several more of these "little jerks" and bloody noses that I thought this could be seizure activity. We were scheduled to see a neurologist on August 4th, after going through our pediatrician, however we didn't make it that far. I was awakened August 1st, by Jake in a full seizure (6 minutes long)...he started to turn blue so I called 911....

Here begins our journey......

...we were taken by ambulance to the hospital. Checked in. Released. 3 more grand mal seizures after being released. Checked back in. Sent home 3 days later. Another grand mal, this one lasting a whopping 11 minutes and taken by ambulance again. Stayed at Childrens Dallas for a week. Upping meds, changing meds and mixing meds.
Diagnosis: Epilepsy
Cause: Unknown
We have now found, through some absolutely amazing family and extended family, whom I will NEVER be able to thank enough, the wonderful doctors and nurses at Cook Childrens Hospital in Fort Worth, who are continuing to help us through this. We have had another grand last thursday, and are averaging anywhere from 5-30 seizures (jerks, drops, stares) a day. I was to begin back teaching at Apollo, but am having to put that on hold until the seizures are controlled. Jake is not able to go back to school until he is 30 days seizure free. We are still waiting for that ONE day. Please pray for our family and for little Jake. Although this is not the end of the world, it is a huge hurdle we WILL overcome. Pray for courage for Jake, understanding as parents, good doctors and for the right medicines.

Jake's mom, Christine


Thursday, July 30, 2009

Wednesday July 30, 2008

Today was the first time that I heard from the neurologist.

I met some teacher friends at Melissa's house for a lunch catching up with some awesome mentors and great friends I have met while teaching at Apollo. Again, I mention Melissa, because we really don't socialize on a casual basis, however she is a fine Christian woman who always seems to be there in very important times in my life.

For some reason I find that ironic. I am unsure why i feel that's ironic, or why she has been there at the most trying times of my life. Maybe because of her great Christian faith and I know she is praying for our peace and for Jake's recovery.

Anyway, we were all sitting at the table enjoying a yummy meal and the phone rang. How rude of me to have the phone at the table,but I knew I was expecting this call.

It still seems so weird to hear the words that came out of my mouth, but I excused myself by saying, "sorry, Jake started having seizures, so hopefully this is his neurologist."

What? Did I just say that? my son just started having seizures?

I remember the wide eyed looks at the table, as if I just said my mom died. When I came back to the table, i felt as if surely there was an elephant in the room.

However, I dismissed Jake's seizures as nothing at the time, so the elephant really didn't bother me one bit. He and Addison were at school, so Jennie and I went to catch up some more.

We got an appointment set up for Monday August 4th...almost a week away.

God Bless~Christine

No comments: