J a k e

J a k e
at the beach in Destin

Jake's story

July 21st was a normal day, as were the days of summer before. Everything was in it's place. School days were approaching and the family was enjoying the last days by the pool, ignored bedtimes and high popsicle counts.

Then July 22, 2008 came....

Jake had his first seizure. I did not recognize it as such. It was not until he had several more of these "little jerks" and bloody noses that I thought this could be seizure activity. We were scheduled to see a neurologist on August 4th, after going through our pediatrician, however we didn't make it that far. I was awakened August 1st, by Jake in a full seizure (6 minutes long)...he started to turn blue so I called 911....

Here begins our journey......

...we were taken by ambulance to the hospital. Checked in. Released. 3 more grand mal seizures after being released. Checked back in. Sent home 3 days later. Another grand mal, this one lasting a whopping 11 minutes and taken by ambulance again. Stayed at Childrens Dallas for a week. Upping meds, changing meds and mixing meds.
Diagnosis: Epilepsy
Cause: Unknown
We have now found, through some absolutely amazing family and extended family, whom I will NEVER be able to thank enough, the wonderful doctors and nurses at Cook Childrens Hospital in Fort Worth, who are continuing to help us through this. We have had another grand last thursday, and are averaging anywhere from 5-30 seizures (jerks, drops, stares) a day. I was to begin back teaching at Apollo, but am having to put that on hold until the seizures are controlled. Jake is not able to go back to school until he is 30 days seizure free. We are still waiting for that ONE day. Please pray for our family and for little Jake. Although this is not the end of the world, it is a huge hurdle we WILL overcome. Pray for courage for Jake, understanding as parents, good doctors and for the right medicines.

Jake's mom, Christine


Friday, January 16, 2009

He's three!!

It is the weekend, therefore I promise to post more. An upcoming title "Mission Aborted!"

I have a few minutes tonight however, as the kids finish their S"Mores and I wait for Matt to return with dinner.

As little as a hurdle as this may seem to many, it is huge to me. Although it makes me kind of sad thinking that the child is so used to take medicine he conquered this obstacle without even a flinch, he did it!!

Medicine giving time is usually painful. Most of the time Jake is pretty good about taking his meds, which consist of a couple syringes (sans needles), and sprinkles (loaded spoon topped with 2 capsules of "sprinkles"). However other times it can be a beating to say the least!! Chasing the kid under tables, behind couches and hearing wails of defiance can get old real quick!!

Well tonight and the past couple nights PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!

Jake now swallows his pills!!! Yeah Jake!

He is so proud of himself and up for the challenge that it takes 30 seconds to administer meds, instead of the "unknown" time span!

He's three!! I know more than one adult that still can't swallow pills!

"Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step." [MARIN LUTHER KING, JR]

God Bless~Christine

seizure count recently 10-15


Leslie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leslie said...

Way to go Jakers!!

Anonymous said...

that is great that he can take his pills! Enjoy the extra day off.