J a k e

J a k e
at the beach in Destin

Jake's story

July 21st was a normal day, as were the days of summer before. Everything was in it's place. School days were approaching and the family was enjoying the last days by the pool, ignored bedtimes and high popsicle counts.

Then July 22, 2008 came....

Jake had his first seizure. I did not recognize it as such. It was not until he had several more of these "little jerks" and bloody noses that I thought this could be seizure activity. We were scheduled to see a neurologist on August 4th, after going through our pediatrician, however we didn't make it that far. I was awakened August 1st, by Jake in a full seizure (6 minutes long)...he started to turn blue so I called 911....

Here begins our journey......

...we were taken by ambulance to the hospital. Checked in. Released. 3 more grand mal seizures after being released. Checked back in. Sent home 3 days later. Another grand mal, this one lasting a whopping 11 minutes and taken by ambulance again. Stayed at Childrens Dallas for a week. Upping meds, changing meds and mixing meds.
Diagnosis: Epilepsy
Cause: Unknown
We have now found, through some absolutely amazing family and extended family, whom I will NEVER be able to thank enough, the wonderful doctors and nurses at Cook Childrens Hospital in Fort Worth, who are continuing to help us through this. We have had another grand last thursday, and are averaging anywhere from 5-30 seizures (jerks, drops, stares) a day. I was to begin back teaching at Apollo, but am having to put that on hold until the seizures are controlled. Jake is not able to go back to school until he is 30 days seizure free. We are still waiting for that ONE day. Please pray for our family and for little Jake. Although this is not the end of the world, it is a huge hurdle we WILL overcome. Pray for courage for Jake, understanding as parents, good doctors and for the right medicines.

Jake's mom, Christine


Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Yet again

Last night I went to lay with Jake on his bed on the floor, as I was terrified to let him sleep all alone. When I went to snuggle next to him, I noticed that he had wet his pants. I did a quick underwear change and swept him up to sleep with us in our room.

At about 3:30 Addison too joined us.
At this time I rolled over to check the district website to see if they had yet updated the site as to whether or not we wold need to strap on our ice skates to get to school.

There was still no update.

I turn the phone off, settle back in to the warm bed, get nestled among my family and...

I hear it.

The gasp!

Matt and I both huddle over him at the same time and here begins another tc. I actually have my wits about me to tell
Matt to turn him onhis side. I then observe. This one does not look like it had the intensity of the many that started us on this journey. However, it seemed to go pretty long.

Since Addison was in our bed, she obviously witnessed the entire thing. When she heard the gasp, the first thing out of her mouth was "Jake cry, Come on just cry." She knows when he starts to cry it is over.
She then continued to talk to him and try to coax him back to consciousness, while rubbing his leg.

I sincerely get sick to my stomach as I think about darn seizures. But, if Jake is going to fight these demons, this is exactly how I want him to do it....as a Family, all together.

"In family life, love is the oil that eases the friction, the cement that binds us closer, and the music that brings us harmony."

God Bless~ Christine


Leslie said...

Geez!(my usual comment) So as horrible as it was, the good thing is he didn't hit his head, no blood and no stitches. I'm glad you were all there together so you didn't have to take care of it alone. He WILL get better- we have faith that he will! Love you!

scbu96 said...

Much Love to you Christine. I am thinking of you more often than I tell you...xo xo xo

Fawn said...