J a k e

J a k e
at the beach in Destin

Jake's story

July 21st was a normal day, as were the days of summer before. Everything was in it's place. School days were approaching and the family was enjoying the last days by the pool, ignored bedtimes and high popsicle counts.

Then July 22, 2008 came....

Jake had his first seizure. I did not recognize it as such. It was not until he had several more of these "little jerks" and bloody noses that I thought this could be seizure activity. We were scheduled to see a neurologist on August 4th, after going through our pediatrician, however we didn't make it that far. I was awakened August 1st, by Jake in a full seizure (6 minutes long)...he started to turn blue so I called 911....

Here begins our journey......

...we were taken by ambulance to the hospital. Checked in. Released. 3 more grand mal seizures after being released. Checked back in. Sent home 3 days later. Another grand mal, this one lasting a whopping 11 minutes and taken by ambulance again. Stayed at Childrens Dallas for a week. Upping meds, changing meds and mixing meds.
Diagnosis: Epilepsy
Cause: Unknown
We have now found, through some absolutely amazing family and extended family, whom I will NEVER be able to thank enough, the wonderful doctors and nurses at Cook Childrens Hospital in Fort Worth, who are continuing to help us through this. We have had another grand last thursday, and are averaging anywhere from 5-30 seizures (jerks, drops, stares) a day. I was to begin back teaching at Apollo, but am having to put that on hold until the seizures are controlled. Jake is not able to go back to school until he is 30 days seizure free. We are still waiting for that ONE day. Please pray for our family and for little Jake. Although this is not the end of the world, it is a huge hurdle we WILL overcome. Pray for courage for Jake, understanding as parents, good doctors and for the right medicines.

Jake's mom, Christine


Friday, January 23, 2009

The new and the different

Our journey to "cure" Jake of daily seizures and the beast they call epilepsy, has taken us on to new and different things (we still are under the care of our nuero).

I make fun of these new approaches, however in my joking, I truly believe they are/will and do make a difference in Jake's life.

We have ventured out to seek the therapy of a homeopathic chiropractor. Jake has been adjusted a couple times and we are also giving him supplements in an effort to detox his little body of some toxins that may be taken up residence uninvited.

The first visit to this doctor was quite an experience. She practices, what is called Nutritional response testing. It is an ancient form of Chinese acupuncture. Coming from a world of hospitals, vaccines, ambulances, and over the counter medicines, it was quite different from what I was used to.

We are willing to try anything, though. What can it hurt?

We went this past Tuesday.
Monday Jake had at least 15 seizures. 11 of these in just the 3 hours he was at school.
Tuesday his seizure count was just about the same.
Wednesday, after out first visit and supplements were given......5,or less.
Thursday.....5 or less!!
The child has more energy (a little too much for my liking...you think I would be skinnier chasing this tornado around everywhere) since Tuesday. His speech has seemed to improve and his attitude seems to be much better as well. Not to mention, look at the decrease in seizures!

We are unsure what is exactly causing this turn for the better in Jake, and we can't over analyze it. We will continue to do whatever may help Jake and right now, at least, we are succeeding!
"Hope, like faith, is nothing if it is not courageous; it is nothing if it is not ridiculous." THORNTON NIVEN WILDER

God Bless~ Christine


Dana said...

OMG, Christine! That's great news! I hope the success continues!

Anonymous said...

Ok...My dear Christine and Pete. I have wasted so much time already trying to think of the best words or scriptures that I could say to you both. I had NO idea until about a month ago what the heck you all had been going through with precious Jake. As you can see I have been quite addicted to your blog since that time. However, my Nana (my dads mom) was killed in Galveston and we just had a really bad month and I felt like my faith was so shaken that there was just nothing that I could do to make you feel better. I, of course am an idiot!!! Just an idiot! I was just guilt-ridden knowing that your struggle has been so great and I was just oblivious!!!!!!! again, IDIOT!!! Please know that since the first moment that I logged on to the blog and read of your couragous journey I have not had a day that my prayers have not gone to the Lord, and how many that I have shared Jake's story with that are too praying for you guys! Myra, Jaclyn, Matt, my Mom and Dad co-workers, and most of all Jeff and I. Jeff had talked to me about you adjusting Jake and I just did not know how to approach it,but I was so happy to read tonight and see that you have ventured that direction...I mean what the heck, it can't hurt! If we can do anything for you guys or be of some assistance there, the door is always open to anything you need!!! I love you and have missed you so much and I love to see this wonderful support system you have and I would love to be a part of it. I do not have your current email so that it why I am just throwing this out on the blog! I am a blog idiot as well, clueless! By the way, what a gift of writing you have I have gone back and read everyday that you have written and gone to bed at night just laughing and crying. Your ability to paint the picture and your strength and faith I have just marveled at so many nights! Please know that I am here and that we love you all. Take care and God Bless your precious family!

Anonymous said...

Ok...as you can see the blog idiot coming through here...I did not mean for it to go anonymous...it is me, Julie Pool juliepool129@yahoo.com, I am so stupid!!

Brandy said...

Awesome, awesome, AWESOME!!! So good to hear. I miss you, can we talk on the phone soon? Thanks. Thinking and praying daily...love you


Anonymous said...

this is great news, did you go to the women that Jennie went to for her face???